Current time: 03-28-2024, 07:39 PM
PlayStation 3 Talk
(07-26-2012, 12:59 AM)Fox Wrote: Unfortunately, yes. The replacement thermal paste from the first repair back in March was nothing but powder when they looked earlier. The unit was fine for the first month or so. Then i had to download the 4.11 update in order to go online and things just got hot from that point on.

You guys may not agree but that patch really did a number on my unit's cooling. The fan would go to level 3 after just thirty minutes or so of gaming, even with a fan focused on it.

Looks like you're going to have to learn to put thermal paste yourself if it dries up that quickly.
(07-26-2012, 07:30 AM)NiX Wrote:
(07-26-2012, 12:59 AM)Fox Wrote: Unfortunately, yes. The replacement thermal paste from the first repair back in March was nothing but powder when they looked earlier. The unit was fine for the first month or so. Then i had to download the 4.11 update in order to go online and things just got hot from that point on.

You guys may not agree but that patch really did a number on my unit's cooling. The fan would go to level 3 after just thirty minutes or so of gaming, even with a fan focused on it.

Looks like you're going to have to learn to put thermal paste yourself if it dries up that quickly.

That's the most likely scenario. Fortunately, the repair guys showed me how to dismantle a fat PS3, remove dried thermal paste and where/how to apply a new layer. They also mentioned the name and location of a dealer that sells Arctic Silver thermal paste.

Won't be happening anytime soon though. For some odd reason, there's nothing that i want to play on the PS3 right now. I just watched videos on it when i got back yesterday. LOL
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
I just found out today that the PS3 slim has a new model. Again.

Damn, I'm so out of the gaming scene already hahaha.
gotten a hold of and tested the slimmest version. was not really impressed. build quality not so good imo. feels cheap. and runs hot for 30 mins of just firmware updating.
I got the last PS3 slim at iTech! Big grin
Sad part: sentimental value ps3 from RR finally died Sad
(01-15-2013, 03:05 PM)Sforza Wrote: I got the last PS3 slim at iTech! Big grin

Weren't you supposed to get the last one at some Datablitz branch instead?
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
(01-15-2013, 03:33 PM)Fox Wrote:

Weren't you supposed to get the last one at some Datablitz branch instead?

Supposedly Rockwell yeah. I saw it on Friday and went back Sunday but it got sold on Sat Sad
(01-15-2013, 02:44 PM)Mjting Wrote: gotten a hold of and tested the slimmest version. was not really impressed. build quality not so good imo. feels cheap. and runs hot for 30 mins of just firmware updating.

I talked to a high school buddy of mine a few days ago. He mentioned that he had bought one of the super slim units as a Christmas gift to himself and that he indeed had experienced the level 3 fan speed (i.e running really loud and hot) after half an hour of gaming for the first couple of days that he had the unit. However, after that, he didn't run into the issue anymore and that it felt more like his old fat unit when it was still brand new.

He said that it was just probably the system breaking itself in.
Sad part: sentimental value ps3 from RR finally died Sad

You don't have to throw it away Smile giant paper weight
So... OCness is kicking in, and overall I just want to make it work, so I'd like to ask: can I test my PS3's wifi connection at anyone's house? I'd like to see once and for all if the problem is my PS3's network card, or my router.

If it's my PS3, I'll have to talk to that Royginald PS3 repair guy.

EDIT: Wired still works flawlessly, it's how I've been living the past few years, PS3 connected through a really long Cat 5 cable. Hahaha.
(05-08-2014, 06:00 PM)Grim Wrote: So... OCness is kicking in, and overall I just want to make it work, so I'd like to ask: can I test my PS3's wifi connection at anyone's house? I'd like to see once and for all if the problem is my PS3's network card, or my router.

EDIT: Wired still works flawlessly, it's how I've been living the past few years, PS3 connected through a really long Cat 5 cable. Hahaha.

What's wrong with the Wireless connection? I'd volunteer my place but its way too far.. xD
Fuunyaah~
(05-08-2014, 07:21 PM)Hell Heart Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 06:00 PM)Grim Wrote: So... OCness is kicking in, and overall I just want to make it work, so I'd like to ask: can I test my PS3's wifi connection at anyone's house? I'd like to see once and for all if the problem is my PS3's network card, or my router.

What's wrong with the Wireless connection? I'd volunteer my place but its way too far.. xD

Oh haha this was a recurring problem for me a few pages (and some time ago XD ) back here in this thread. One day the wireless connection just couldn't get the IP address, even though it was previously working. In comparison, the PS4 picks it up no problem, but I'd still like to rule out the router first.

I should note that when I set my network to be open instead of requiring a password, the PS3 gets the IP address, but fails to connect to the internet during the connection test. And having tried everything, I'm pretty much stumped.
This Sat, bring your PS3 along. You can test it in my place, or Jake's if he'll allow it. Tongue
If ever, I'd like to help troubleshoot it as well. with my work, I can go anywhere as long as there's internet and a computer.. XD
Fuunyaah~
(05-08-2014, 07:49 PM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: This Sat, bring your PS3 along. You can test it in my place, or Jake's if he'll allow it. Tongue

(05-08-2014, 10:31 PM)Hell Heart Wrote: If ever, I'd like to help troubleshoot it as well. with my work, I can go anywhere as long as there's internet and a computer.. XD

Coolbeans. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal BlitzKey 3 5,806 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: BlitzKey
  (And yet another) PlayStation 3 hack Twin-Skies 29 35,263 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Last Post: atdsutm
  Tekken 5, with some SC3 talk Sforza 39 36,358 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Serene
  Let's Talk War Games Sforza 11 11,503 12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Sforza
  New Sub-$400 Sony PlayStation 3 NiX 7 8,977 11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Last Post: NiX