Current time: 04-29-2024, 12:35 AM
Societal Impositions
I supposed I should be glad that my immediate family is relatively open-minded on some of the subjects here, but there are a few things:
For the friend issue, I doubt I can get anything close to what I have in high school, since people in college are spread out all over the county. Being utterly intimidating/repulsive to most doesn't help with making new friends either.

Grandparents believed that I should get married soon and have children to continue the traditional bloodline of the family, considering that I am one of the few who is not assimilated into the American culture. Too bad that it is not going to happen as long as I am far from home - as taking in a mate from a radically different culture will lead to some... problems.

There are no outstanding issues with occupations, as long as it is something that I can a fortune off with little risks to life. But most of my relatives thought that living a quiet life with a stable career is sufficient and wanting more (i.e. changing the world) is wrong. They are content with me earning a living by making video game art assets at this time however.
There, nothing too interesting. Roll eyes
rereading the thread, it seems i didnt put in my experience of some impositions. so here goes

Atheist - first few years of college my mom would always throw this at me when she gets mad. specifically that going to AdMU turned me into an atheist. it seems to her questioning faith in order to enrich it is an act of someone who doesnt believe. over time tho, i think she got used to it and eventually understood my side. for the record im not atheist, im more of a universalist/agnostic. i dont go to church due to either laziness, but more because i hate it that the priests turn the sacred ritual into a place for political ranting etc. i feel id be disrespecting the power(s) that be if i went there and just be angry and silently contradict the crap the clergy say.

Upside down cross - thankfully this isnt much of an issue at home. there was that one time tho they plaster my niece's nebulizer with stickers of the "holy face" because its brand name was DeVille. lol

You need to get a life - even when i was unemployed for three years, they didnt rub it in. heck, id appreciate it if my parents actually told me this more often in my life. instead my mom actually discourages me when i try to spread my wings and try to get a life -.-

you need to get laid - mostly from my coworkers and a few of my friends. hell, they was a time they were planning on dragging me to a bar then to a spa for a "massage". its not necessary for living [size=-5](heck ive lived 28 years without)[/size], but i do acknowledge it would be pretty nice to know someone likes you enough to get that intimate with you.

Be a Man - i dont get this a lot, well save for the week before the speed dating thing. my coworkers were kinda annoyed with me being too nervous XD. my mentor tho, actually told me once that im more of a man that he can ever be. particularly because of my strong sense of duty to my family.

rock musics are demonic - ive heard this from other people as statements, but never received this. closest one would be back in highschool when they said Eraserheads music was demonic. it blew over quickly tho.

video games are for kids - i used to get this a lot. even if my current job is game related. there was a time i defended the point, but it was a waste of time. my parents didnt grow up with all the tech we have, and never learned to adapt, so i understand that they will never understand it. theres also the fact that i had a really bad addiction to it before. but as i pointed out to them that they never allowed me to have fun outside, i had no choice. over time tho, i think they simply accepted the fact its part of what i am so while they cant understand it, they dont comment on it anymore.

Long hair - for me its my shaved head. my mom was absolutely against it, so i didnt shave my head till after highschool. even then, she would still comment that i should grow it out to normal length. i complied only twice i think. to look decent for graduation, and job hunting. by the time i tried having long hair, she didnt care much. she won that one tho, coz my hair simply would grow longer and i found it a mess to take care of. so i settled for shaved head, with a rat tail thats nicely growing long XD

Well, I was born and raised in a traditional and conservative way, but of course, as we aged we learn more and develop more of our individuality. I'm a Roman Catholic but consider myself more of a Liberal Christian.

Atheist - I'm a non-practicing Roman Catholic. They ask me why I don't go to church, I say: I want forget about all the gospels first. I attend masses when somebody calls me out for it though.

Upside down cross - Not a big deal. Though my dear departed grandmother would react to this and horned creatures. I remember her thinking I've gone down when she saw me drawing Getter1 back in elementary. She'd so pawn me if she sees me now.

You need to get a life - They all Know I'm doing me best trying to get out of mu ultimate slump. In fact, I tell this to myself.

you need to get laid - My two best friends [we consider ourselves a trio] tell me this. To the point where they discussed this during my godson's baptism. Asa. Ahaha.

Be a Man - My relatives in my father's side of the family are often surprised how much of a man I am when it comes to physical and emotional pain.

Rock music is demonic - Again, my dear departed grandmother. I got her love for the classics though.

video games are for kids - Something fun? My mom pushed me to playing video games. All my aunts had famicoms when I was a kid. In fact, they promote gaming in a way.

Long hair - I'm growing my hair right now yes? The only one against it is my grandmother [obviously not the departed one]. Unfortunately for her, I'm the type who fights for my individuality.
'Signatures are overrated.'