Current time: 04-16-2024, 04:39 PM
The ongoing zerg botling rush
We need to wall off with some zealots and gateways so please build more pylons thanks Smile
IKR

Seriously though, I'll search for something more concrete tonight.
Yeah, even having two Isaacs in RR didn't stop the outbreak. LOL
Install another captcha layer? Or heck, set it to manual approval. We've got the manpower.
(03-11-2011, 08:11 AM)NiX Wrote: Or heck, set it to manual approval. We've got the manpower.

Good idea! How do we implement it though? It's easy enough when the account is a spammer: we check the email/username/IP against spammer databases and delete the user outright if a match is found. But what about when there aren't any hits? Do we email them asking for some sign of humanity?
Do any of the new (actually human) members even answer the welcome PM that they get upon signing up?

Even if there aren't any hits or the IP add has no record, i follow these.
(02-19-2011, 10:34 PM)Fox Wrote: My criteria for bots nowadays:

* really weird names.

* links to spam sites in their signatures.

* has less than a minute spent online.

* Is still validating.

You get two out of four, i ban you, no questions asked. Glare

Yeah, a little harsh but it's worked for me so far.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
(03-12-2011, 04:02 PM)Fox Wrote: Do any of the new (actually human) members even answer the welcome PM that they get upon signing up?

Most do, but some don't. Sige I'm leaning more on manual approval.
(03-12-2011, 10:52 PM)Grim Wrote:
(03-12-2011, 04:02 PM)Fox Wrote: Do any of the new (actually human) members even answer the welcome PM that they get upon signing up?

Most do, but some don't. Sige I'm leaning more on manual approval.

Darn. Lesser prey for me.
'Signatures are overrated.'
Reading you but the sig-... -ing in really cho-... We're hold-... the line, sir, but just barely.... -ost down to our last few clips of ammo... -ould give you at most te-... -utes of resistance before it comes down to fists and blades... Hold on... We've go-... breach... they're go-... -er the barricades... They've got us su-... ded... Repeat, they've got us surrounded... they're all aro-... Game over, man! Game over!
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
I set it first for the board to send a random password to the email account used to register. Hopefully this'll stave off most of the bots. This is because the next higher level of control is administrator approval, and unfortunately I just don't have that amount of time on my hands right now.
Mods, please use this thread to collect bot IP addresses. You can get their IPs either by catching them online or by waiting for them to post.

I have these, so far.

Install plugin please? Sad

http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb
(04-15-2011, 10:19 AM)NiX Wrote: Install plugin please? Sad

http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb

Hey dude, just saw this. Thanks for the search. Will install tonight!
Mods, have you experienced less banning of bots recently? I want to know if the plugin works...

[-]
Quick Reply