Current time: 04-29-2024, 12:08 AM
Where will we be in the next 10 years?
(Just your typical quasi-philo mumbo-jumbo brought about by stress at work.)
My interest was piqued by this piece: a radical pessimist's guide to the next 10 years. Some points are alarmingly close to the truth/to happening, while some are still a ways off.

Quote:3. The future is going to happen no matter what we do. The future will feel even faster than it does now

4. Old people won't be quite so clueless

12. Expect less

14. Something smarter than us is going to emerge

17. You may well burn out on the effort of being an individual

18. It will become harder to view your life as “a story”

35. Stupid people will be in charge, only to be replaced by ever-stupider people. You will live in a world without kings, only princes in whom our faith is shattered

38. Knowing everything will become dull

43. Getting to work will provide vibrant and fun new challenges

I think it's a valid question. And I don't just mean RR, or the Philippines. I'm talking about the world. Have we come so far in terms of technology that the magic of "existing" will be lost?

Personally, I think there's a danger of this type of future becoming true. The sum of human knowledge increases everyday, and while one can argue that there's still a lot left to be discovered, for the most part the majority of humanity is just content to live out their daily lives through their jobs/classes/Facebook/online forums because we already know everything we need to know to function normally, daily.

But then again, I realize I'm coming from a (more or less) privileged perspective so I can't speak for those who go hungry or suffer through poverty.

What do you think?
I'd say that it's just being realistic rather than being an actual pessimist. LOL

Anyway, here are some statements that I find plausible other than the ones quoted by Grim.

Quote:22) Your sense of time will continue to shred. Years will feel like hours
26) Being alone will become easier
32) Musical appreciation will shed all age barriers
34) You're going to miss the 1990s more than you ever thought LOL

But then again, you have to wonder if this kind of future is going to be filled with people living only for the sake of contentment; everyone's just going to stick to their comfort zones and prolly not care about the events around them.
(10-11-2010, 02:45 PM)Grim Wrote: What do you think?

The article is sarcasm. Pessimism of this scale may turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy for people that actually believe it. Humanity has always adjusted and adapted to whatever comes its way, this shouldn't be any different, yet it doesn't mean people should sit on their asses and not do anything (assuming they can effect some sort of change) either. The ones that do that will have no right to complain how shitty their life is in the future.

It also suggests moving to Vancouver. I suggest we do that LOL
(10-11-2010, 02:45 PM)Grim Wrote: My interest was piqued by this piece: a radical pessimist's guide to the next 10 years. Some points are alarmingly close to the truth/to happening, while some are still a ways off.

Quote:3. The future is going to happen no matter what we do. The future will feel even faster than it does now

4. Old people won't be quite so clueless

12. Expect less

14. Something smarter than us is going to emerge

17. You may well burn out on the effort of being an individual

18. It will become harder to view your life as “a story”

35. Stupid people will be in charge, only to be replaced by ever-stupider people. You will live in a world without kings, only princes in whom our faith is shattered

38. Knowing everything will become dull

43. Getting to work will provide vibrant and fun new challenges

I think it's a valid question. And I don't just mean RR, or the Philippines. I'm talking about the world. Have we come so far in terms of technology that the magic of "existing" will be lost?

Personally, I think there's a danger of this type of future becoming true. The sum of human knowledge increases everyday, and while one can argue that there's still a lot left to be discovered, for the most part the majority of humanity is just content to live out their daily lives through their jobs/classes/Facebook/online forums because we already know everything we need to know to function normally, daily.

But then again, I realize I'm coming from a (more or less) privileged perspective so I can't speak for those who go hungry or suffer through poverty.

What do you think?

Fuck the author.

As one of the mods at FF, I've made it a personal promise to go down fighting, at least with regard to stupidity in Philippine society.

Angry? Yes. Militant? Maybe. But it sure as hell beats drowning my last shred of humanity in utter complacency.

And on a related note, my reply to that article:

[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Things are not that gloomy from a corporation's perspective

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So two years ago... Aruren 9 11,232 07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Aruren