Current time: 03-29-2024, 04:37 PM
World of Tanks
I was reporting about this upcoming game at work, and thought you guys might want to try it too"

World of Tanks
http://www.worldoftanks.com/about.html

Basically an MMO game where you can command several types of tanks.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Sent an entry for CBT and waiting. I'll try it out for the lulz thanks to Valkyria Chronicles.

Joking aside, I'm curious how the game handles the gameplay it claims - "FPS, RTS, RPG, and the simulator". Much like positioning between your tank's weakest and strongest armor, reading scales and shooting different types of cannons? Will I also be able to paint the tank with red or with an EFSF RX-79 paintjob? LOL
I just had my invitation yesterday and tried it out for the lulz. Wasn't exactly taking it seriously until I played the game though, where tactics and camouflage are a MUST. You can also ram other tanks and blow them up (assuming yours is customized to be much heaver, etc).

At least, from most MMOs I've known so far, the simple grind-and-be-strong doesn't work here. FPS skills won't contribute much in here too. The game currently offers one type of game - capturing the enemy base.

Other than that, it looks more complicated than it is; you'll need to keep focusing on protecting tank destroyers for artillery support and watching your flanks before your enemies break you and your team's formation, same goes to your teammates. So far, most players have been using anything they can for camouflage and cover, while the clueless ones just end up dying horribly.

I don't like MMOs in general (to say the least, I used to like them) so I'm still getting a bit skeptical about how promising this game is. The overall graphics is good enough, gameplay is a bit imbalanced (although that can be workable with tactics), and so far I haven't seen any generic, annoying MMO player with room temperature IQ... yet.
Would you say it's a thinking man's game?

I'm actually looking for a decent shooter that'd force me to use my head more than leetz aiming skills.

And btw, I've read in the comments to stay the hell away from the KV-1 and Tiger 1 (It should be a Tiger 2, actually) heavies

The KV-1's underpowered apparently, while the Tiger 2 (aka King Tiger) is some sort of battlefield monster.
(09-16-2010, 02:13 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: Would you say it's a thinking man's game?

Yeah, as long as you aren't playing in training mode, where the new players are still trying to learn the basics (movement, aim, etc). Tank classes vary in different roles too, so there's no such thing as "useless" in any class.

Other than choosing spots and guarding flanks, you will need to guard your tank's position during battle; the front hull always has the thickest armor, the sides having less armor, while the rear having the least. You receive damage when your tank has been penetrated by a shell. You'll also need self-tactics and good positioning because maneuvering is limited; you're using WWII era tanks (sluggish and slow) and you will most likely end up dead if you fail to manage your positioning good enough with the limited amount of time given(someone might just randomly charge out of nowhere).

Knowing your weak spots and covering them will get you out alive, but the rest is still up to teamwork. Here's one nifty guide on how to play with people using tank destroyers / artillery btw.

(09-16-2010, 02:13 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: And btw, I've read in the comments to stay the hell away from the KV-1 and Tiger 1 (It should be a Tiger 2, actually) heavies

Lol yes. Heavier classes are just going to steamroll most of the light tanks; you won't be able to penetrate their armor even when shot from behind. HE rounds and a bigger gun will solve this though. Someone with a Churchill came out of nowhere and rammed his tank on me during training, blowing up my T-18. LOL
Your...

[Image: 300px-MS-1.jpg]

Got flattened by

[Image: 300px-Churchill_IV.jpg]

Figures - you just got squished by one of the heaviest tanks in the war XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ninokuni: The Another World Twin-Skies 0 2,433 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Twin-Skies
  The World Ends with You Twin-Skies 4 4,981 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Grim