Current time: 03-28-2024, 09:27 PM
image brush for PS CS3?
need help
im working on a drawing where i need to draw lots of starfish. one alternative ived looked at is to use a custom brush, add angle, size, and scatter jitter values. it works but one flaw, the stars dont have an outline. if i do the outline, photoshop ignores or converts the fill to grayscale. in the end i need to manually erase the overlaps to make it look that the starfish are on top of each other. its a lot of work i dont have time to do.

what id like to happen is i draw a couple of the starfish, complete with lines and fills. then use the images for a "brush" that will generate versions of the same starfishes but with random angle, size and positioning with a little horizontal/vertical distortion.

in corel i remember there was an image brush/hose. you import an image containing several masked images, and the image brush sprayed these images out. you can make it come out in different angles, sizes etc. anyway, ive been searching the web for an hour now, but i keep getting tutorials for the basic brush customization.

here is the corel image hose in action. this is basically what id like to do

is there a way to do this in photoshop? or are there any plugins like it?

thanks in advance
Have you tried checking tutorials websites like digitutors, creativecrash etc ?

they might have the answer Happy
digitutors is unavailable and creativecrash doesnt have what im looking for. majority of the tutorial sites ive scoured (been looking into this for two days now ~.~ ) only have info on basic brush customization which i already know and does not suit my needs. this is the third forum ive asked. the other two suggested using an action composed of duplicating the image, tweaking it then merging the layers. it works but it only automates the duplication and merge part, i still have to tweak and deform each starfish, as well as run the action each time i need a new one. unfortunately im estimating id need round a hundred, maybe more, starfish -.- a friend of mine who does web design for a living already said it can be done in illustrator but not in photoshop. but im kinda hoping theres a photoshop workaround since corel painter has this from the start. and no im not willing to install corel painter just for the image hose XD
i think photoshop only has the layers to help you with that. duplicate latersss ;__;
[Image: th_tumblr_lk9u9uH6yu1qbacrgo1_500.gif]
You can give them outlines. Given that you have a blank background. I can't really give instructions though. Sorry.
'Signatures are overrated.'
thought of two possible solutions last night. either use a dual brush, one with the fill, the other with the outline. i think the second brush acts like a mask for the other. not sure but its worth a try. the other is to just stick to manual drawing, layer duplication and merging Sad anyway, thanks for trying to help
Well, I just tried to recollect and here it is.I think I'm too late though. I hope you read this in time to save your soul.

Layers Tab > Choose Layer to Edit > Right Click > Blending Options > Stroke

Given that the objects you want to give an outline has a blank background. You can even adjust the thickness of the outlines.
It's quicker that doing it manually.
'Signatures are overrated.'
@Serene
that applies the stroke to the whole layer, or more precisely the external edges of the contents of the layer. the individual internal edges would not be given an outline. say you have a triangle and a square. if half of the triangle overlaps the right edge of the square, and you apply stroke, only half of the triangle will be given an outline. anyway, i already finished the background. took time, and it was manual but its done. thanks for trying to help ^^