Current time: 03-29-2024, 04:58 PM
Collector's Editions
because the game sucks
Gaming's own happy meal. I mostly miss out on these since they're either too expensive or produced in limited quantities. And there are really bad ones like Dead Space 2's replica plasma cutter that is nothing more than a 30 peso toy gun normally found in palengkes.

Do post if you find something interesting.

Crysis 2 - It comes with a light up statue, more display-worthy than the g.i joe-ish action figures.
[Image: th_cr2ned.jpg]

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Action figure from Play Arts Kai
[Image: th_Deus-Ex-Collectors-Edition.jpg]

Batman Arkham City - Statue from Kotobukiya
[Image: th_batman-arkham-city-collectors-edition.jpg]

I have no issue with "collector's editions" because they usually include something nifty like an artbook, statue, etc. -- some people like to pay a little extra for a collectible they can display in a case. Collector's editions don't *usually* confer an in game boost that cheapens the experience of the game.

What really pisses me off? Pre-order in game extras. Example: "Order Mass Effect 2 at gamestop and get a really fucking cool Black hole launching gun that trivializes the rest of the game!"

So because you payed 5 dollars to pre-order the game or whatever, you get an item that cannot be obtained otherwise, even though the game developers could make just as much money if they offered it after the game came out as DLC? Also, "hey, let's make 3 different pre-order packages available through different companies- and make items that are completely tantalizing in all three! and even if they buy all 3 pre-orders, you cant use all the pre-order DLC in one copy of the game! Aren't we brilliant?" Facepalm

Couple this with the fact that these people who pre-order lord it over everyone else like it's some kind of fucking status symbol- and heaven forbid if these items can be used in multiplayer- as they have a horrible tendency to be imbalanced.

Honestly, really pissed off that the new Deus Ex is doing this too: a grenade launcher and plastic explosive only available through a gamestop pre-order? A hunting shotgun through another? Giving these out like candy for a 5 dollar pre-order when i'm perfectly willing to pay for iton your website really sours my willingness to buy the game. At least make these things available for DLC, so we aren't penalized for not buying through a third fucking party.

Sorry if this response sounds like a rant-but knowing the crap they put their employees through (a few of which have been close friends), and their *lack of* corporate ethos- I am happy to say that I fucking hate game stop and everything they stand for. As much as I would love a shiny new toy like that grenade launcher for a shoot em up playthrough- I have to stick to my convictions on refusing to deal with that borderline c'thulian evil video game retailer. This all just reeks of bad form from the video game industry.No no

...and I just realized the collector's edition/augmented edition of Deus Ex you posted has all of the extra weapons and goodies. I don't know whether or not to be elated, or to flip the table in rage. Wonder how much it would set me back financially. Hopefully the augmented is cheap enough to pass off as birthday present fodder, I could do without the statue of Jensen in the collector's.
"I firmly believe there are three tenets that determine victory in warfare; and they are firepower, firepower, and more firepower."
The same they're doing with BF3 with the "physical warfare pack" being exclusive to a few retailers(EB games from where I live). Even tho it was announced that the physical warfare pack will be made available to everyone who pre ordered BF3 regardless where they preordered it, I see some retailers try to top up their pre-orders with a free paintball pass LOL

As for Deus ex, the collector's edition is on a first come first serve basis. I'm not sure home many of them are being produced, but my preorder was cancelled a couple of weeks ago.
(07-22-2011, 09:50 AM)J.E_Magog Wrote: The same they're doing with BF3 with the "physical warfare pack" being exclusive to a few retailers(EB games from where I live). Even tho it was announced that the physical warfare pack will be made available to everyone who pre ordered BF3 regardless where they preordered it, I see some retailers try to top up their pre-orders with a free paintball pass LOL

As for Deus ex, the collector's edition is on a first come first serve basis. I'm not sure home many of them are being produced, but my preorder was cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

what prompted you to cancel your pre-order J.E? (If you don't mind my asking)
"I firmly believe there are three tenets that determine victory in warfare; and they are firepower, firepower, and more firepower."
this is the only collector's/limited edition game i've managed to get my hands on. but i like it XD

Galaxy Angel Milfuelle Sakura Limted Edition Pack
[Image: 244174_216184438406278_100000441700011_7...2987_o.jpg]
includes:
4 disc game installer
1 disc OST
1 resin figure
1 tshirt
Are they all packed in that one box? lol that's quite a lot.

(07-23-2011, 12:55 AM)McCale Wrote: what prompted you to cancel your pre-order J.E? (If you don't mind my asking)
I didn't cancel it, the retailer did. It's discounted at $115(originally $139) but if I were to get the augmented edition and buy the figure separately in HLJ, it's gonna cost me a lot more-> $98 for the game + $60 for the figure.

the retailer did? wow, I'd be pissed to the point heads would roll.
(07-24-2011, 09:28 PM)J.E_Magog Wrote: Are they all packed in that one box? lol that's quite a lot.

yup. and i got it at around 1/5 the price.