Current time: 04-17-2024, 05:49 AM
Poll: I'm...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Religious
33.33%
9 33.33%
Agnostic
25.93%
7 25.93%
Atheist
18.52%
5 18.52%
Deist
22.22%
6 22.22%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Organized Religion Discussion Thread
The Roman Catholic Church is now blaming Hippies for their sex abuse cases:
http://mirandaceleste.net/2011/05/24/a-w...us-report/
[Image: 142183_zps37998c8a.gif]
Sry, that was mine.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Aug 26 is a Day of Penance, says Bishop Rosales. Because you people allowed the horrible Kulo exhibit to be put up LOL

Quote:MANILA, Philippines - The "Kulo" exhibit at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) has prompted the head of the Catholic Church to declare August 26 as a "Day of Penance."

In a circular released on Tuesday, Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales encouraged the faithful to perform sacrifice on the said date such as fasting and other forms of mortification "as an expression of remorse for the sins committed against God's majesty."

Despite the CCP's defense of Mideo Cruz's art installation "Poleteismo," Rosales maintained that the artwork "is sinful" and a form of "sacrilege and blasphemy."

http://interaksyon.com/article/11075/kul...of-penance

Also:

"(during Senate hearing) ...CCP Board of Trustees refuse to resign, will continue to uphold freedom of expression"

http://interaksyon.com/article/11057/abr...expression
(08-16-2011, 05:18 PM)Sforza Wrote: Aug 26 is a Day of Penance, says Bishop Rosales. Because you people allowed the horrible Kulo exhibit to be put up LOL

Quote:MANILA, Philippines - The "Kulo" exhibit at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) has prompted the head of the Catholic Church to declare August 26 as a "Day of Penance."

In a circular released on Tuesday, Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales encouraged the faithful to perform sacrifice on the said date such as fasting and other forms of mortification "as an expression of remorse for the sins committed against God's majesty."

Despite the CCP's defense of Mideo Cruz's art installation "Poleteismo," Rosales maintained that the artwork "is sinful" and a form of "sacrilege and blasphemy."

http://interaksyon.com/article/11075/kul...of-penance

Also:

"(during Senate hearing) ...CCP Board of Trustees refuse to resign, will continue to uphold freedom of expression"

http://interaksyon.com/article/11057/abr...expression

The CBCP going to be in a lot of deep shit if it pursues this issue: The UN Human Rights Council has released General Comment No. 34, which affirms that freedom of speech will always be a priority over "blasphemy."

The Philippines is a signatory, and thus is mandated by international law to follow GC 34.

http://filipinofreethinkers.org/2011/08/...man-right/
(08-16-2011, 06:08 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: The CBCP going to be in a lot of deep shit if it pursues this issue: The UN Human Rights Council has released General Comment No. 34, which affirms that freedom of speech will always be a priority over "blasphemy."

The Philippines is a signatory, and thus is mandated by international law to follow GC 34.

http://filipinofreethinkers.org/2011/08/...man-right/

You know, I do hope they get in deep shit and get all embarrassed. Nakakairita amp.
I don't like the CBCP and other like-minded religious zealots. But I also dislike offending just for the sake of offending, which is what 'Kulo' was all about.

Whatever the case, I just want all parties involved to chill and STFU. Shit like this shouldn't even be a national issue.
(08-17-2011, 03:17 PM)NiX Wrote: I don't like the CBCP and other like-minded religious zealots. But I also dislike offending just for the sake of offending, which is what 'Kulo' was all about.

Whatever the case, I just want all parties involved to chill and STFU. Shit like this shouldn't even be a national issue.

Nix for Senator! Clapping Make AC the national sport of the Philippines!
(08-17-2011, 03:17 PM)NiX Wrote: I don't like the CBCP and other like-minded religious zealots. But I also dislike offending just for the sake of offending, which is what 'Kulo' was all about.

I don't see anything offensive with the exhibit. The penis has always been worshipped in tribal cultures as a symbol of fertility and power. The only religion I know that considered it something "dirty" is Christianity.

I think that the point Mideo was trying to make is that in today's culture, we've replaced our worship of the phallus with images of Christ.

As for offense, well that's the premise of a democracy - the right to voice our opinions and disagreements openly without threat of censorship.
(08-17-2011, 06:41 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: I don't see anything offensive with the exhibit. The penis has always been worshipped in tribal cultures as a symbol of fertility and power. The only religion I know that considered it something "dirty" is Christianity.

Artists' own justifications aside, it's impossible to defend the artist by saying that he did not know the piece would probably cause offense to certain sectors of society; and he went through with it anyway. It's basically a case of him reaping what he sowed. Personally I think we also have to give importance to the beliefs of other people regardless of how silly they seem to be, and all of this should be done with mutual respect for the other side.

The church should rightly be called out for acting irrationally in reaction to a few issues over the past few months, but there's no reason to further antagonize anyone needlessly. Take the moral high ground, but be sure to shout down the moral bigots every single time. The way I see it both sides have their flaws, the church just happens to have more of them.
Quote:It's basically a case of him reaping what he sowed. Personally I think we also have to give importance to the beliefs of other people regardless of how silly they seem to be, and all of this should be done with mutual respect for the other side.

Joke's on the CBCP then. If it wasn't for their fire and brimstone, Mideo wouldn't have been as famous as he is now. And they get to look like complete dicks too, the CBCP I mean.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a Xanatos Gambit.

As for mutual respect, I think that can only begin with dialogue with other faiths. And while I don't go out of my way attacking other religions, I don't see the point of clamming up about their hypocrisy. If they say something stupid, I consider it fair game that needs to be blasted.
Wish they'd all just fucking chill and agree that attacking an idea and belief is no big deal rather than to attack the person him/herself. LOL

Offending for the sake of offending should just be ignored, or still be tolerated imo, which I believe won't be possible in this country. :/
(08-18-2011, 06:42 PM)Goat Wrote: Wish they'd all just fucking chill and agree that attacking an idea and belief is no big deal rather than to attack the person him/herself. LOL

Offending for the sake of offending should just be ignored, or still be tolerated imo, which I believe won't be possible in this country. :/

Person 1: Grr, I am offend at dat painting!
Person 2: Grr, I am offend at you being offend!

Person 1 & 2: Grr, we are both offend!

So. Was anyone hurt? Does it show the inability of current legislation to prevent harm or abuse to a person? We know the answer Smile
NOBODY expects the Spanish Demonstration!
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter...-in-spain/

Quite the eloquent exposition on humanism and secular morality. Smile
[Image: religion.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teh interesting animal-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 241 298,766 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting PHL-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 126 169,756 04-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread Sforza 1,527 1,637,031 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Filipino Freethinkers // RH Bill discussion Twin-Skies 11 19,628 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: clonezero
  2010 RP Elections Discussion Thread Sforza 159 177,492 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fox
  The Obama thread atdsutm 16 22,074 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Last Post: J.E_Magog