Current time: 03-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Wireless Routers and Stuff
GRAAAAAAAAAAAH
Yay, my internet is restored. (thanks to sky cable)

Boo, when I switched from Globe to Sky Broadband. My router suddenly keeps giving out 169.254.x.x IPs to the laptops of this house. Therefore a problem involving who gets to use the net will become a serious problem.

I figured that I need to configure the router for a connection from Sky (if that makes any sense).I tried reaching the router (Linksys WRT45G) but it doesn't seem to be reachable through 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2.

All I've discovered so far is that my modem responds to the IP 192.168.100.1 (Sky Cable's modem is a scientific atlanta).

So uh... does anybody know why my router doesn't like me? :<
Are you sure you've connected the cables properly? This is the only reason I can think of why your router won't respond to 192.168.1.1.

Just to be sure, CAT5 cable from back of modem goes to Internet port in back of router. CAT5 from back of CPU goes into slot 1/2/3/4 of router.
Well, actually I've set up the router such that it's more of a hub than a router, wherein the modem doesn't connect to an internet port but to one of the ethernet ports instead. I'm really baffled by why the damn thing won't boot up properly.

It just keeps saying it times out. However I can reach the modem without a problem. I believe I already tried using the traditional wire setup to reach the router however it didn't do much. But oh well, I guess I'll try it again while waiting for the next big idea.
Is your router store-bought or is it something provided by your ISP?

If all else fails, do a hard reset on the router and set it up from scratch.
It's store-bought. However I highly doubt they'll help me cover it. Man I hate networking. XD
So my old faithful 7-year-old D-Link router is still working but starting to act up. I'll probably be in the market for a new router pretty soon.

Can you folks recommend to me a reliable router? It doesn't have to be blazing fast. It just has to be reliable. I don't want any random timeouts. A USB port would be a big plus.
I can't give out any expert advices, but I have used a Netgear WGT624 (108Mbps) for the last eight years or so, and it has been fairly stable after the first two years.

What are you going to use it for?
The router's for home use. Mainly to share an internet connection across multiple computers. Anyway, it turns out there was nothing wrong with the current one. There was just a power fluctuation that prevented it from getting enough power at the time. It's working great again now. Smile
Finally bought a new TP-Link Wireless N 300mbps router
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/detai...TL-WR841ND

Sorta gambling with this relatively new brand, but it's working ok so far. Feedback from tipidpc and pinoydsl is promising as well. Was really cheap too, at just P1750 in PC Express.

edit: Good performance so far, but signal's not as strong as I'd like. It's a tad weaker than the Linksys WRT45G I was using previously.

I love buying PC shit from PC Express, btw. No bullshit warranties, pricing, and return policies.
Just got my TL-MR3420 hopefully I can go online again soon. I had it swapped from DIR-600 because it's defective and my old router is broken. If I can't set it up I hope you guys can assist me. Thanks! Big grin
Domo Beyond the beaten path, lies the absolute end. It does not matter who or what you are. Death awaits you! - P3 Domo
^Bought a DIR-600 for my gf some time ago. Was totally unhappy with it too. =/ Sure, we can help you set it up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google & The Wireless Industry NiX 12 18,739 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Grim