Current time: 03-28-2024, 11:42 PM
Nokia phones
Let's have one thread for them since new models come out like how rabbits reproduce.

I think Nokia phones are really something. Well-built, good features, reasonable price, and they're based on the rock-solid foundation of Symbian.

My current tech-lust is the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. I kind of said I wouldn't need another phone again after the E51, but when something this beautiful comes out I just have to have it. It even ousted the G1 from my to-buy list. Specs are here.

[Image: 3106727876_8a84b93e19.jpg]

[Image: 3106722430_066106abd1.jpg]

Incidentally, this was also Batman's phone in The Dark Knight. 3D sonar mapping, that would make a killer app. LOL
Hahah yeah the 5800 is really awesome and the price is actually pretty decent. I'd choose an E71 over this one though but that's just me. But above all, if money weren't an issue, I'd get myself an N97!!!
(12-31-2008, 07:00 PM)NiX Wrote: Hahah yeah the 5800 is really awesome and the price is actually pretty decent. I'd choose an E71 over this one though but that's just me. But above all, if money weren't an issue, I'd get myself an N97!!!

My co-worker has the E71. Really sleek, shiny and sexy, and I know you like having a QWERTY keypad. The N97 is pretty powerful, but it looks a little bland to me. Gotta have that black!

For anything handheld, I find that I'm pretty much done with the whole small/compact thing: I'm gravitating towards the bigger models now, provided they look the part. Functionally-speaking both big and small have relatively the same capabilities anyway.
My officemate showed up to work today with something very special: a shiny new 5800. He had pre-ordered the thing, haha.

He let me try it out: the resistive touchscreen's nice and snappy, speakers are crisp (relative to other phones' external speakers anyway), and the screen's vibrant. There was some glare, but only under direct light. It's pretty much everything I'd expected. For their first touchscreen phone, Nokia got everything down right. Big grin

The only problem now though is the wait. He confirmed what I know to be true: in a couple of months, Nokia's going to introduce a better, more "together" touchscreen phone, which might be a bit more expensive. Might. So I'm really thinking it over.
He was probably talking about the N97. The 5800 and the N97 are aimed at totally different markets anyway so if you like the 5800, just get it. Besides, there are newer models that come out every few months anyway.
Goddamn the 5800 is one tough phone.

http://www.tube5800.com/crash-test-video...-survived/
Ei Mix the E51 just hit version 300 firmware.
I bought an N96..Was that such a bad choice??
The N96 is nice for its big screen and having the latest S60 software and goodies. If you're someone obsessed with the camera on your phone though, the one on the N82 is still better because of its xenon flash. The N96 only has dual LED. Well, the N96 is great for someone willing to pay for it. In my opinion though, there are cheaper, better alternatives.
Been reading a lot on the 5800. It's been getting some pretty good reviews. And even with some of its flaws, everyone's just forgiving it because of the price. Grim, I say go for it.
(01-29-2009, 02:37 PM)NiX Wrote: Been reading a lot on the 5800. It's been getting some pretty good reviews. And even with some of its flaws, everyone's just forgiving it because of the price. Grim, I say go for it.

I'd love to right now, but some of my money was 'accidentally' spent on something else. Tongue Maybe I'll get it in the next couple of months.
Last Thursday, by some act of fate, my dad's E51 fell into, of all places, a fishbowl. He, of course, pulled it out as quickly as he could. Being the wise man that he is, he didn't immediately attempt to power it up and he proceeded to remove the battery and all other removable parts.

Luckily, I'd already read on what to do when you get your electronics wet--You bury it in rice grains (bigas). Supposedly, the rice grains will absorb whatever moisture is left in the hard-to-reach areas. I guess it worked, cuz after 3 days of being under the rice, the phone's now working again! Big grin

So in case any of you drop your electronic devices into water, DO NOT attempt to turn it on right away. Doing so with moisture inside will definitely fry the device. Dry it as much as you can and wait as long as possible (at least 3 days) before trying to turn it on again.

If for some unfortunate reason you drop a device into saltwater, well that's another story. It sounds crazy, but you have to rinse the device with fresh water to get rid of the minerals that will cause corrosion. Afterwards, you do as above.

----------------------------------------------------------

Current Nokia phone I'd like to own: E71

Upcoming Nokia phone I'd like to own: E52 -- 28 days standby time baby!!!

N97 -- Not just yet.
Helpful advice right there. I'll remember that if ever I get any of my electronic devices wet.
(05-18-2009, 02:19 AM)NiX Wrote: Upcoming Nokia phone I'd like to own:

E75. Wag na 5800 XM hahaha.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Big grin
Personally, I'd get an E71 over the E75. Mas mature na firmware ng E71, pretty much the same functionality, 1500mah battery instead of the E75's 1000mah one, same shitty camera, and right now, the E71's at least 5000php cheaper.

EDIT - Oh and I hate the E75's qwerty. I don't know what review sites were smoking when they raved about the slide-out qwerty because I think it's too flat and too spread out for just 2 thumbs. But try it out one time for yourself. Maybe you'll like it better than I did. I hear that the battery life blows, though. The only real upsides for sure are the dual keypads and the preinstalled Nokia Messaging for better e-mail. Any S60 phone can be upgraded to have Nokia Messaging though. Just go to email.nokia.com on the mobile browser.

EDIT2 - But yeah, at least E75 can be easier to text with while driving. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cell Phones NiX 53 83,582 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Last Post: NiX