Current time: 03-28-2024, 10:30 PM
Pacquiao
Does he deserve his own discussion topic? I think that he does, especially since everybody watches his every single fight. Anyway, just wanted to share the article below.

http://www.thering-online.com/blog/110/p...ilippines/

Excerpt: "...Warp-speed modern technology has reached even the remotest spots of this sprawling archipelago, where even itinerant farmers in far away provinces and the poorest of the poor in the urban slums get news in an instant. The Philippines has the widest cell phone coverage of any country per capita and is the texting capital of the world. Thus, news like this travels fast. And it was as if they themselves, the common Filipino, beaten down by circumstance, poverty and daily chaos, now, for a few moments, stood atop the planet."
Manny the Boxer = great. Nothing bad to say about him. He deserves all of the praise he gets. And the attention and goodwill he brings as an informal ambassador of our country is very good to say the least.

Manny the budding politician = no, sorry. Just no. Even if he could be great, and even if his intentions are pure, Philippine politics is just too muddied right now. Most likely it'll end up tarnishing his good name.
I think we unanimously agree that the politicians are bad for him LOL

The question is, why doesn't he see that?
Or does he have a messianic complex of sorts?
Speaking truthfully, I'm guessing he does. I think it's a natural reaction for people that come from really humble backgrounds to want to help those that they lived with (is "suffered with" too strong?), rise up just like they did. Our culture of helping your extended family back home is a factor too.
Who ever gave the idea that he'd be getting into politics anyway? His wife?

Wits. o.o
Manny, the greatest boxer the Philippines ever had and we cannot deny the fact that he captured the hearts of every Filipino.

He should stay out of the politics because "politics is evil most of the time".

He can help others in so many ways and politics is not the only way to reach out.
You ever see how so many politicians try to get their name associated with Pacquiao? They're probably the ones that have influenced him, aside from his personal intentions of course. I'm sure he means well but I think he'll just end up being used.

Hate to say it but he's really the only thing that completely unites our country right now. Come on, ZERO crime-rate whenever he has a fight on? You can't top that.
Haha, there's this one time when I played over 24hrs at my old 'tambayan' internet cafe, I took a lunch break at a roadside eatery. I was really surprised, only about TWO jeeps every minute passing by a usually busy road, and some 10 people passed by the whole time I was eating. I even smirked at 'Manang', saying that she should have stayed home to watch the Pacquiao-Morales fight.

"Oo nga 'no? Sayang. Haha!"
you're right Nix....no one can ever top that record.....XD
Demon knight is right, pacquiao can help our fellow countrymen in other ways rather than being a politician. Like Flash Elorde who is also a great Filipino Boxer, and was rated no.1 (before Pacquiao defeated Diaz and dela Hoya) by Q tv in pinaka. Elorde was rated no.1 because not only a boxer but he also help the Filipino community by donating schools through his own finances.
Yeah Elorde was a guy who used his money wisely. His grandson was actually my batchmate throughout grade school and high school.
Nick Giongco, Manila Bulletin Wrote:Pacquiao gives up lightweight title

By Nick Giongco

On the eve of his departure for England for a promotional tour en route to training camp in Los Angeles, Manny Pacquiao gave up his World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight (135 lbs) crown as the Filipino pound-for-pound king stated his desire to make the super-lightweight (140 lbs) division as his temporary home.

In a letter sent to WBC president Jose Sulaiman in Mexico City, Pacquiao expressed his gratitude for being given the chance to fight under the WBC banner when he was still the flyweight (112 lbs) titleholder from Dec. 1998 to Sept. 1999, super-feather ruler in early-2008 and its lightweight supreme beginning June 2008 until yesterday.

"I take great pride and honor in representing the WBC as its lightweight champion at the present time. Your institution has opened the door for my success in boxing and I am grateful for the prestige your organization has given me over the years as one of its champions in many different weight categories," wrote Pacquiao.

"I have had discussion with my team as to the direction of my career since my fight at 147 lbs with Oscar De La Hoya, on December 6, 2008. After careful consideration and in the advancement of my professional boxing career, I intend at this time to campaign in the super lightweight division with a fight against Ricky Hatton on May 2, 2009."

Pacquiao is scheduled to fly to London at 6 a.m. via Cathay Pacific in time for his arrival in the British capital on Friday for some filming of his visits to major landmarks.

On Saturday, he will travel to Manchester with Top Rank big boss Bob Arum for a huge outdoor event there with Hatton in attendance, back in London to meet with Filipinos at the Philippine Embassy and try to hear Sunday Mass as well.

On Monday, Pacquiao and Hatton will meet again for a press conference before he heads back to the States to kick off his training under Freddie Roach.

Yesterday, Pacquiao completed all his shooting requirements aside from fulfilling his appointment at the British Embassy and dropping by the place of former business manager Rod Nazario who the fighter invited to be at ringside for the Hatton fight alongside long-time friends Moy Lainez, Lito Mondejar and Gerry Garcia.

http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20090226149098.html
"Numbers are not part of the real world; they're part of something else."

-Prof. Rolly Panopio, UPLB Math Division
Titles don't really matter anymore for boxers nowadays. The pound-for-pound title and drawing power are what count.
The only person in the world who will be able to beat Pacquaio now is GSP Rock on

BUT Pacquiao will never lose to another boxer because he has LAKAS UHAW!!! and the Pacquaio PUNCH!!!!

(video reposted for the lulz)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4esevL5HVyg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4esevL5HVyg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
HMMMM......for the past few days, I noticed that most posts recently posted in this forum..more specifically in the what is ur religion thread, the A or b thread, the gentleman thread and sadly this thread (only for the last post) have been meme's or puns.....(eg. GSP, FEDOR)

It seems this is gonna be the new trend in posting for this forum....... LOL