Current time: 03-29-2024, 02:21 PM
Windows 7
I'm hopeful but wary
I'm really excited about 7.

Yesterday I was at Dell in SM Marikina, trying out the XPS M1330 (again... what can I say? Dream laptop haha). The display unit had a leaked copy of 7 on it. Granted, the unit also had a 2.4 Ghz dual core processor and 3 gigs of RAM, but everything was really, really snappy. Snappier than this work laptop of mine which has a 2.5 Ghz dual core proc, 2 gigs of RAM and is running XP.

I know my anecdote is very much a quick and unscientific point of view on the matter of 7's performance, but that's what MS needs to shake people out of the stupor Vista has caused - show something that's visibly fast, and then substantiate it with genuinely good OS performance.
Baka yung final RC lang ng Windows 7 yun and not necessarily leaked. Tongue
has anyone tried the 64bit version yet?
I'll be reformatting my rig sometime this week and wondering if it's ok to go ahead with a 64bit version OS since my rig supports it anyway.
care to share any info?
Ninja Ninja 
User reviews a bootleg copy of Windows 7

Wow, it really is that advanced...
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
Hmm, I really want to do a scientific review of the difference between Vista and Windows 7, but I don't know of any comprehensive system performance testing tools that don't require massive downloading on my end (plus excited nako mag-install at ayoko na mag-intay).

I guess I'll just have to spout off unscientific testimonials here. >_>

EDIT: I'm back. Install took around 45 minutes. Your own mileage may vary, I've been reading reports of the clean install (which they call custom now) taking only around 30. Point is, it's fast and simple.

OK picture tiem!

Desktop, loving the taskbar so far.
[Image: desktopgq.jpg]

The new MS Paint. It exports to .PNG natively.
[Image: pngw.jpg]

I'm not posting the Windows Experience Index score thing yet because I haven't installed any drivers yet. None. But Windows 7 is working rather nicely still.

It "just works."

*cough*

EDIT: Further on, I discover that this install dumps all the old programs and Vista files into a folder called Windows.old. That's a pretty thoughtful thing to do for Microsoft, and I appreciate what they're trying to do for the regular users. However, it makes me have to do the takeown command from the command prompt (more info here) to be able to use Disk Cleanup, because I don't have administrative rights to that folder yet. First real time of waiting. It's been going on for around 10 minutes already, and I don't think it's halfway yet. I'm guessing this could be avoided though, because these screenshots show the old Windows install up for selection on Disk Cleanup. I'm just wondering how.

Hahaha yeah I love Plants vs. Zombies
[Image: takeown.jpg]