Current time: 03-28-2024, 04:10 PM
Google chrome
google has just entered the browser wars!!!
it looks good on paper, but the download link was nowhere to be found. Ermm
Ninja Ninja 
you can just DL it at the search engine page

www.google.com Chair
I've been there but the link itself was removed, it only redirects itself. It was only made available for a short time yesterday.

Found an offline installer: here
edit: Use at your own risk, not sure if its authentic... haven't tried it myself either
Ninja Ninja 
google.com/chrome
seems like japan isn't on their list yet of probable beta users. Huh
Ninja Ninja 
First impressions compared to Firefox 3:

1. Chrome can't compete yet because of the extensions that Firefox has.

2. Chrome loads memory/process heavy scripts quicker than Firefox. There were a few pages I went to to test, and at some points Firefox even had to freeze for a few seconds. Chrome just kept on going, and finished the job quicker.

3. Firefox still has a more intuitive interface IMO, and the search/address bar of Chrome is in Firefox too.

4. Chrome actually lags during quick tab switching.

For now, it seems like Chrome is a stripped down version of Firefox for web developers and programmers. That's about it.
I'm really looking forward to how Chrome will progress. Competition is always a good thing.
Me likey this new browser, and will keep using it for a while. I just timed both HTML and PHP page loads from a clear-cache standpoint, and Chrome loads pages about a half-second faster than FireFox for me. Whether or not it's all those plugins I have installed in FF I dunno, but we'll find that out when developers start creating some for this new one.

Also, I haven't experienced any tab-switch lagging so far (25 tabs currently open).

I think this is a perfect new browser for... library terminals or some such. And integration into those desktops that Google itself ships out. And Android phones, don't forget those.
I forgot to add, the major plus point for Chrome is that it can run google aps offline or something.

Also, found out that tab switching lag is so far restricted to meebo only.
There's this new "feature" in Chrome: incognito browsing (Ctrl + Shift + N). According to the window that pops up:

Quote:You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.

Yeah, you know what you're gonna use that for.

Apparently, this is already in the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Go figure.
I liked how they minimized the UI to give off a more uncluttered look and to maximize the web page content are by hiding the rarely used menus, buttons and status bar. (like running FF3 in full screen mode)
But I sure miss the FF3 extensions especially the mouse gesture add-on.

Beta testers Beware:
Vulnerability Exposed in Google Chrome Beta
Quote:Aviv Raff has publicized a ‘proof-of-concept’ demonstration showcasing this vulnerability. The demonstration causes Firefox to prompt its users of a Java JAR file download. In Chrome, the file is automatically downloaded without any prompting to the users desktop. Malicious programmers with some good con-artist skills could easily use this vulnerability to trick users in to executing the Java application.

cabs Wrote:seems like japan isn't on their list yet of probable beta users. Huh
The download button doesn't show up on certain PCs depending on the county indicated in the regional local settings.
Ninja Ninja 
I hear that Chrome's using the same engine being used by Nokia's S60 browser (what I'm currently on), the iPhone browser, and yes, Android. Development of this browser in theory should also help improve mobile browsing in general.
best messages i got from using google chrome:

"whoa!! google chrome just crashed?!"
Tried it and didn't like it (overall). I liked the fact that each "tab" is actually a different window with a different address bar and that its interface seems pretty slick, and especially "incognito" (or however its spelled) mode, but in terms of functionality for high-end users, it just doesn't come close to what firefox does just yet, with all the extensions of course. As a bare browser, it seems to do great, but for people who know their stuff and demand more from their browser, it just doesnt make the cut. Maybe when they get more support, I might look into it. But as of now, not a chance.
[All systems online. Kojima output normal. Synchronizing AMS Compatibility... Done. Engaging Primal Armor... Done. All systems green. Firing main boosters.]
"Blackwing, let's fly!!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ipad or Google Nexus Tablet hmm RoninFang 4 8,840 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: RoninFang
  Google Nexus Tablet Twin-Skies 8 15,026 11-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Last Post: NiX
  Google as Napster Sforza 3 6,326 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Grim
  Google & The Wireless Industry NiX 12 18,739 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Grim
  Google Wave Grim 12 13,245 11-27-2009, 08:47 AM