Current time: 04-19-2024, 07:44 PM
PSP Customization and Modding
Here we'll have information, updates and answers for your questions on everything related to voiding your PSP's warranty.

For starters, 4.00 M33 should be out by the end of the week. (If not, then next week, if not, then next week, then next week...)
uumm can you point me to the instruction manual for updating my os I'll be upgrading ours to 4.00 when it comes out ... and uhm asides from making your psp more friendly to homebrews ... what else does it do???

oh yeah last thing I see psp shops offering both upgrading and DOWNgrading what thats about?
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

clonezero Wrote:uumm can you point me to the instruction manual for updating my os I'll be upgrading ours to 4.00 when it comes out ... and uhm asides from making your psp more friendly to homebrews ... what else does it do???

Exophase provides a guide for installing the 3.90 M33, 4.00 shouldn't be far off from it. As for what else it does, probably nothing groundbreaking. You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to yet, which is generally a good idea sometimes as new CFW = more chances for brickage. They don't call it bleeding-edge for nothing.

Sometimes people opt to downgrade their PSPs so they can run homebrew software, or sometimes saved ISOs don't run like they normally do on newer firmware (which is pretty rare). Last I heard, 1.50 on a fatty is still the best platform for testing things done in lutong-bahay style.
Help me find out how/if the snes9x emulator will run on a PSP Slim w/ cfw 3.90-M33-3 please?

Also, I'll need roms for it. Where can I get them?
edit (answer to own question): http://www.doperoms.com/

edit2: nevermind, I'm playing super mario all-stars on my PSP now.
http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-emulators/snes-emulator/
Sforza Wrote:Help me find out how/if the snes9x emulator will run on a PSP Slim w/ cfw 3.90-M33-3 please?

For those interested in pursuing emulation further, here's a post with tons of links on the matter.

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=6854

Be careful! Lots of hazards abound.
theGrim Wrote:
clonezero Wrote:uumm can you point me to the instruction manual for updating my os I'll be upgrading ours to 4.00 when it comes out ... and uhm asides from making your psp more friendly to homebrews ... what else does it do???

Exophase provides a guide for installing the 3.90 M33, 4.00 shouldn't be far off from it. As for what else it does, probably nothing groundbreaking. You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to yet, which is generally a good idea sometimes as new CFW = more chances for brickage. They don't call it bleeding-edge for nothing.

Sometimes people opt to downgrade their PSPs so they can run homebrew software, or sometimes saved ISOs don't run like they normally do on newer firmware (which is pretty rare). Last I heard, 1.50 on a fatty is still the best platform for testing things done in lutong-bahay style.

To be honest, the safest way to have your PSP upgraded is to have a trained tech do it for you. Most of the shops in V-mall can do that...for a price. I have mine updated at my cousin's shop in Theater mall. He's done good work so far, albeit it's a little pricey.
[Image: 142183_zps37998c8a.gif]
For the record. That was me posting. Forgot to login my account again Chair
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Just wanted to update about the snes emulator. The games I've installed so far are:

Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda: ALTTP, Super Metroid, Super Mario All Stars Kart World World 2, Megaman X 1 2 3, Contra 3, Super Punch Out, Pilotwings, Tecmo Super Bowl, FF3

The ones that didn't work were: Killer Instinct, Star fox, Sonic the Hedgehog

Tomorrow I'll install a GBA emulator and see how it goes. The PSP is one powerful handheld.
HayWire Wrote:To be honest, the safest way to have your PSP upgraded is to have a trained tech do it for you. Most of the shops in V-mall can do that...for a price. I have mine updated at my cousin's shop in Theater mall. He's done good work so far, albeit it's a little pricey.

In my experience, as long as you take your time and read everything thoroughly, you shouldn't come into any problems unless you're really experimenting with things (like mixing .rco files from different themes).

I haven't taken my PSP to any shop yet, that's instantly money saved. Although I have to admit, I will most probably do so once I end up bricking mine.

Sforza Wrote:The PSP is one powerful handheld.

True dat!
Haven't taken mine to a shop yet, ever. I dropped it once and a plastic thing stuck out but I was able to brute force it back in after a day or two (rawr!). I also do all my CFW updates and homebrew tests myself.

Another question: are there any apps for uClinux on PSP yet? Aside from Hello, World.
Sforza Wrote:Another question: are there any apps for uClinux on PSP yet? Aside from Hello, World.

From what I've seen, just this sprite test using SDL.

[Image: uclinuxsdlspriteszs8.jpg]

Also, on my PSP Big grin

[Image: snap000uq8.jpg]

[Image: snap001fp6.jpg]

[Image: snap000mk9.jpg]

[Image: snap001vq0.jpg]

[Image: snap005bx6.jpg]

Finally, here's a screenie of my current theme. Foster's ftw.

[Image: snap007yd1.jpg]

All screenshots care of this plugin.
Did you use the emulator I linked to? Chrono Trigger runs fine, but the music gets a little choppy. Is yours like that too?

Now I'm planning to try PSX emulators on the PSP. Can you guys recommend any?

Looking at his one now: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSX2PSP-v1-3-mu...aid/117922

And roms, at romulation.net, because I can't seem to find a torrent with PSX games.

Edit: Where did you get cave story for PSP?
All in all, that's 4 questions for Mix XD

***EDIT***

Scratch the PSX emu request, it doesn't exactly exist yet. Instead, there are EBOOT PSX games on torrent sites that run on PSPs. There's a MAME emulator for PSP that can run arcade games which I'll try out later.

Another great rom site: http://www.rom-world.com
Sforza Wrote:Did you use the emulator I linked to? Chrono Trigger runs fine, but the music gets a little choppy. Is yours like that too?

Yes on both. I still have to change around some of the optimization settings, but I heard that there really are ROMs in which frame (and sound) skipping is the only way to a playable game.

Quote:Now I'm planning to try PSX emulators on the PSP. Can you guys recommend any?

PSX capabilites are actually already in the PSP. What people really need PSX2PSP for is to convert the games. The latest one I've seen is here.

For ROMs I usually go to Demonoid (if you need an invite PM me). I was a member of Underground Gamer once before I got pruned due to inactivity, but they have excellent selections and generally good speeds, sort of like a lesser known Blackcats-Games.

Quote:Where did you get cave story for PSP?

Here. I came across this port while writing my Cave Story piece. (lol plug)
Thanks for the Cave Story link.

So, I download the MAME4ALL emulator specifically to play arcade SHMUPS. Sadly, out of about 10 only four worked. These were 1943, Terra Cresta, UN squadron and Gyrus. Put together... everything was less than 10mb so I guess it's worth it.

When/if you download mame4all, you'll see that it comes with a compatible games list. There are a few classics there that you might want to try running, like Frogger, Elevator Action, Street Fighter games, etc.
4.01 M33 has been released. The 1.50 kernel is still to follow though, I think.

http://dark-alex.org/

EDIT: For those getting file fetching errors (most likely cause there's millions of people downloading it right now), get an EBOOT from the link below, then rename it to 401.PBP. Place it in the M33 update folder.

http://dj01.psp.update.playstation.org/u.../EBOOT.PBP

EDIT 2: 4.01 through the above method is confirmed as working. I remembered too late that XMB themes for older firmware don't apply to newer ones, so bye bye Foster's for now. In any case updating is a good thing as it resets flash0 back to stable defaults.

EDIT 3!!! A mere few hours after, we have M33-2 and the 1.50 kernel addon. These guys move fast.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modding Skyrim XD RoninFang 4 5,936 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Last Post: RoninFang