Current time: 03-28-2024, 04:57 PM
The World Ends with You
Strangely addicting.

The dual-screen combat mode's challenging, given you're controlling two characters at the same time.

Top screen works with the directional pad, bottom screen works with the stylus.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Got a link to screenshots of this game?
Not yet - having trouble trying to upload to photobucket lately.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
[Image: world-ends-with-youwewy06psdjpgcopy.jpg]

[Image: 935689_20070512_screen002.jpg]

Wired has a nice commentary article on the game.
You can read it here.

Sometimes, a game is so ridiculously complicated it just begs you to throw it away.

That's how I felt after an hour of playing The World Ends With You, the hot new role-playing game for the Nintendo DS. In TWEWY, you're a classic Square Enix hero: a surly teenager who comes complete with mysterious secrets, a broken emotional life and spiky anime hair. Everyone gasps in astonishment a lot, and you're thrust unwillingly into a cosmic conflict with creepy monsters.

It's the "conflict" part that drove me crazy. TWEWY offers a combat system that is incredibly innovative and brilliant -- but also impossibly, annoyingly convoluted. It defied me to hurl my DS against the wall.
etc etc...

(no, I don't have a DS and I'm not planning on getting one. Wii, maybe. For MH3)
That's just the beginning though, Wired finishes up the opening with:

Quote:And yet I didn't. I actually wound up loving the game. And therein lies a very interesting lesson, which suggests that even in our age of superaccessible, EZ-games like Wii Sports and Guitar Hero and Bejeweled, there are rich delights to be had in videogames that are more complicated than a moon landing.

On a sidenote, I've noticed that a lot of the major game companies like Capcom and Square-Enix are hitting sites like DeviantArt with thousands of dollars worth of publicity through art contests and such. It's a little too early to say anything definite at this point, but are companies actually looking at the fans for some ideas to incorporate into their games now? I mean, they've done this before, but not on something as obvious as this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World of Tanks Twin-Skies 5 6,945 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Twin-Skies
  Ninokuni: The Another World Twin-Skies 0 2,433 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Twin-Skies