Current time: 03-28-2024, 08:10 PM
Which martial arts kicks ass
Question 
I'm currently getting fat cuz all of the curry I'm cooking(tnx again leperman...). I've been thinkin for a while now in enrolling in a dojo. But which?

I know some of the folks ir taken up(or taking up) the arts, what do you guys recomend?
This is also a punishment for you.
You will be the defender of justice and wear a mask forever,
you won't be able to live as yourself.
You will sacrifice all your happiness for the world.. Eternally..
(Last words to Zero - Lelouch Vi Britania)
Brazilian jiu-jitsu, or Krav Maga, or Yaw Yan.

Will get you in shape, and will allow you to kick the crap out of any more muggers that cross your path.
Before you start getting into martial arts, I suggest you spend a month or so building up your cardio and core (abdominal and back muscles). Running should do.

That said, I'd probably go with arnis (personal bias). Very no-nonsense system, and the modern styles teach you the basic punches, kicks, and locks.

You might also want to try kick-boxing or plain boxing - they've got the fundamentals down.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Yeah, basic kick-boxing is pretty straightforward but effective. The simplest mostions usually do the best job. Unless you wanna have anime-like fighting skills. -_-
I'm very biased....
but then again... times are different now. taekwondo in the philipines has become a cookie cutter martial art.

it all depends on your purpose

lose weight = boxing, taebo, kickboxing

self defense = krav maga, aikido, arnis (not a fan of jujitsu... especially brazilian... it's only good in one on one "duel to the finish" combat... not applicable in multiple opponents, armed opponents, and battle in enclosed spaces... in short... not applicable in the Phlippine setting)

for the sake of learning techniques = classical arts karate, taekwondo, judo

get to know other people = capoiera (this is where the hot chicks are "in" siya kasi eh)

to grope chicks = judo, aikido, wrestling Wink (capoiera does not offer that much chances to cop a feel)

enjoyment = tekken 6 Smile

furthermore. it's not the art... it's the person...

examples taekwondo vs muay thai

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e2_bKP2GMTU&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fL9ZXos8LfQ&feature=related
Not to offend anybody, but contemporary Taekwondo and Karate (at least from what I've read) are more built as a competitive martial arts - for sport.

There are of course practical self-defense variations of these schools being taught by some instructors, though these versions are probably closer to mixed martial arts.

Same case with arnis for that matter - we train differently for the "Sports" and "Combat" aspect of the system. The combat aspect carries a lot of the illegal moves like the gouges, arm locks, and truncheon drills (two-handed grips and locks with the stick).
Tnx 4 the reply guys. I'm particularly looking for something that I can use to protect my self if the need arises, and give me a work out at the same time..

I'm realy lazy going to the gym and all, so myt use this whole fiasco to get me in shape, and learn new things at the same time.

I'm current leaning into kick boxing 4 exercise and aikido
for self-defense.. Have'nt seen any krav maga or yaw yan so cant comment on them ATM.
balintawak ...
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

@clone: huh?
dude... balintawak is a style of arnis Smile
Oh...
Akala ko yung itak na ginamit noon sa sigaw ng balintawak.

Boxing sana, kaso nga lang, I don'y think it's art.
Serene Wrote:Boxing sana, kaso nga lang, I don'y think it's art.

But it is considered a martial art. Albeit one with a very open system.

It just so happens that people tend to imagine the oriental styles when they think of the term.
Just thought I'd revive a necro'd topic.

So DT, did you find the sport which is just right for you yet? Big grin
I just rolled with boxing by the way.. My cousin has a punching bag in his house(sa tabi lng xa ng shop ko nkatira). As for keeping in shape, no luck as of now..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6knjVY2a...re=related

I'm really not sure why these guys are doing what they're doing here, but they sure are making idiots of themselves Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion on what martial arts coach/trainer/gym to take? RoninFang 3 4,966 11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Last Post: RoninFang