Current time: 04-19-2024, 03:15 PM
Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure
Security is always a trade-off. I know people who rarely lock their front door, who drive in the rain (and, while using a cellphone) and who talk to strangers. In my opinion, securing my wireless network isn't worth it. And I appreciate everyone else who keeps an open wireless network, including all the coffee shops, bars and libraries I have visited in the past. You all make the world a better place.

The above article above makes the following arguments for and against securing home Wi-Fi networks:

+ Basic politeness to others / visitors
+ Coffee shops within a mile of your house offer it too
+ Open Wi-Fi can be a legal defense (burden of proof) against IP tracking when it comes to tracing illegal content -- "Someone else used my network!"
+ It's easy to know if the leech is a neighbor, and it'll be more fun to make his/her internet upside down or blurred instead.

- Possible stolen passwords
- People parking outside house to send spam and download illegal things
- (For those with static IPs) Your IP might get blacklisted from some services because of things other people who use your connection do
- Possible visit from police because of first two

Let's discuss. Are you for or against securing your wireless connection and why? If you don't, assume that you have one.

Personally I keep my Wi-Fi open so visitors can feel more comfortable. To me, it's like serving water. Another reason is that ISPs in this country have a tendency of dying all of a sudden, so sometimes relatives and friends come on emergency visits.

Lastly, I try to maximize my bandwidth as much as possible because PLDT is a f*cktard isp that throttles the bandwidth of its consumers that are considered heavy downloaders. I know this because I've been called by company reps 3 times already over the past few years to double check what my subscription was, and my connection speed mysteriously jumps up late at night, every night -_-
Well setting up/ connecting to WPA isn't that hard. And you can just tell the password to all your visitors that want it.
NiX Wrote:Well setting up/ connecting to WPA isn't that hard. And you can just tell the password to all your visitors that want it.

What if my neighbor wanted to show some live vid, with him and one of his many nighttime female friends, but his connection dies on him? I don't exactly like/know him enough to give my WPA password, though.

It would be sad to deprive the interweb of stickam vids like that which would be made of so much win Sad

PS: I am not implying anything Ninja
I keep our wireless network here at home protected by a password. I'm even thinking of taking the network's signature off the air so people can't enter it if they don't know what its name is.

My logic is far from security. I honestly doubt if my neighbors know anything about hacking computers, and even I know very little of the matter, even more so through a wireless connection. And the chances of me personally getting hacked through the internet, with a basic firewall, Linux and a bit of prudence in downloading, nearly none. I basically close my connection so that the DSL our family pays for stays within the house premises only. Simple. Only we get to use what we pay for. We have the cheapest package (and therefore, the slowest), so it makes sense to make it work for us as much as we could.

Any visitors come with laptops, me or my siblings can easily set them up to use the connection, so no problem.
Hahahah well Jake, if you're generous enough to let anyone within reach of your network to use it, that's totally fine. I for one enjoy using your internet through my mobile whenever I'm there hahah
http://gizmodo.com/357376/give-wifi-leec...ommand-fun

Hacking whoever is leeching on your wi-fi. This article made me lol. LOL