Current time: 05-02-2024, 06:23 PM
Our Loverly Parents
Can't sleep again, so I'm making another discussion thread Ermm

The BBC website has a nice article today entitled "The Curse of the Meddling Parent", wherein an educational professional actually divides meddling parents into 5 distinct groups:

The Agent Having an Agent helicopter parent is like having Max Clifford working for you round the clock-for free. They operate like a footballer's agent: fixing deals, arranging contracts, smoothing out local difficulties. It's the Agent's job to represent his or her client at events which, for whatever reason, the client feels are simply too tedious to attend.

The Banker Accessible online, face-to-face or via a personal hotline, the Banker is unique in the world of financial services for charging no APR, asking few if any questions, expecting no collateral, and being psychologically inclined to say "yes" no matter how illogical or poorly articulated the request. The Banker is also resigned to never seeing loans repaid.

The White Knight Imbued with an almost semi-mythical status, the White Knight parent appears at little to no notice to resolve awkward situations. Once resolved, the White Knight will fade anonymously into the background. Intervention is accomplished silently and with minimum fuss.

The Bodyguard The primary function of the Bodyguard is to protect the client from a range of embarrassing social situations - such as cancelling appointments and soaking up complaints on behalf of their client. Particularly skilled in constructing elaborate excuses. When not protecting life, limb and reputation, doubles up as a chauffeur and personal assistant.

The Black Hawk Named after the military helicopter, and dreaded by teachers and educational administrators, the Black Hawk is unique among helicopter parents due to their willingness to go to any lengths - legal or illegal - to give their offspring a positional advantage over any competition. Particularly lethal when elected to parent-teacher associations.

The question is: do your parents fit into any of these categories? Please share your experiences to entertain us all. Naturally, none of the active members here are parents, nor will they tell your parents about it so it should be safe unless your parents spy on your internet activity as well; in which I'd say you're a hopeless case.

To answer my question, I'd say my mom is a white knight of sorts, but after she gives out help to fix a certain situation and fades into the background (where other people are concerned), there will be hell to pay when I get home D:

Oh, and if your parents aren't "helicopter parents", tell us as well so we can become jealous of your independence. LOL
Hmmm, not really sure where my folks fit in there. I guess i can say that my old man is a bit like a Banker since he provides most of the financial services for us and doles out money if there's a good enough reason with minimal interrogation. Meanwhile, ermats is (i guess) a combination of a Bodyguard and a White Knight. Neither (fortunately for me and as far as i know) is a Black Hawk.

However, as of the latter half of last year, they no longer serve in those positions anymore. I'm pretty much standing on my own two feet as of now.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
Almost the same as Fox. Dad's a bit of a banker, we talk seldom (in true male fashion), he provides most of the financial backing. Not to say we're on bad terms though. We're both just that type of old school male who don't openly talk about stuff. We prefer, when he's here, to just drink beer together while watching TV.

My mom is a bit of an agent, although for some reason I end up tagging along to wherever she's going. When she's here, my schedule suddenly becomes filled with a myriad of tasks.

My parents only come home once every six months though, for the rest of the year they live and work in the States. So during that time, I'm pretty much parent free, except for the pesky phone calls from mum.
My Mom's a banker...
'Signatures are overrated.'
My dad's also a 'banker'. He gives me money. Your father's exactly (almost, if not) the same as mine, Grimlok. We don't talk that much, we're not that 'open' towards ourselves, but when we drink, we still don't really talk that much though. He's also a bit of a bodyguard. Probably influenced by my mom. (The Banker side is still dominant though)

My mom is a BODYGUARD. She cancels every meeting I make, usually doesn't allow me to drink/play/etc with my friends unless I beg so hard just to convince her. Also a banker. (Lol, 20% banker, 80% BODYGUARD)