Current time: 03-29-2024, 01:24 AM
Gaming Addiction
Question 
The Quest to End Game Addiction

If you take the time to read the short article above, you'll notice that it makes for compelling arguments for and against playing video games in general. It also presents sides on whether gaming addiction can even exist, or if it is something made up.

I personally believe that it definitely exists, only that the problem isn't as widespread yet in the Philippines as it is in other countries. What I'm wondering is, has anyone ever experienced someone's life being negatively affected by the gaming addiction of someone you know? How can you tell if you're becoming an addict? Is there a way to cure oneself?
Jake, I can tell that you were addicted to .Hack
NiX Wrote:Jake, I can tell that you were addicted to .Hack

RPGs are okay because they don't last very long LOL
Fighting games and MMOs are another matter altogether.
Fighting games are fine because with them, you at least need to find an opponent to hold your interest. It's pretty bad when you play in arcades though cuz that costs money. >_<

But yeah, MMORPGs are the devil.
Fox skips work because of RPGs. Tongue Yeah .hack too if I remember correctly.

I've definitely experienced this before, on a milder level. Back in first year I remember I'd cut a whole day of classes at school just because I wasn't done with Vice City yet.

Aah, good times.
Well as far as video game addiction, I've had my share of that.

Initial D ver. 2 on the arcade, for example. I literally blew more than php10,000 on that monster. >_<
I'd go to the arcade after school right before I went home. Hahah!
Sometimes it's not the game itself but the gambling applicable to some games...

But there a time when I was addicted to counter strike...
'Signatures are overrated.'
I got addicted to RF online before and I left my PC on for three weeks because of that.
So! From what I can gather from the replies, game "addiction" actually only lasts for as long as the "sufferers" want it to last? It doesn't seem to be as bad as alcohol, cigarette, or drug addiction.

...Which means it doesn't disrupt the rational thought process as much as other types of addiction, I think. This is something to tell the parents the next time they get angry about playing too much LOL
I can definitely say that one can become addicted to a video game. HOWEVER, the addiction is usually not as long-term as substance-induced addictions.

It's no different from being addicted to gambling or shopping or reading or being on the internet.
It's more like a game fad actually, as 'Fads' don't last that long.
Well some game addictions last longer than just "fads." Like Armored Core, or StarCraft... they're "addictions" that have lasted me well over 10 years. Well, I consider them to be "passions" rather than "addictions"
I agree with that.
Addiction is too strong a word. You can only be addicted to something if it starts affecting your daily life and leaves you dependent on it. I haven't really come across anyone who is literally addicted to a game to the point that they can't function normally without playing it at least once per day.

Though some DotA players come to mind though... I hardly classify that one as a game anymore. More like its some sort of obsession or something.

And yes, i did ditch work for a couple of days to finish the last installment of .hack//G.U. No regrets, even though my paycheck did suffer a bit because of it. Tongue It really wasn't addiction but simply the need to see the story's resolution without being hampered by my ungodly oppresive work schedule.

It really depends on how you view the term "addiction", just like reality is how you view the world around you.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
This might be a little off topic, but can someone please explain to me why DotA is so addicting? I've never tried playing it, nor have I even seen it in action. It's probably because I'm an oyaji >.>

From what I can tell by reading the wiki, it's like a mixture of RTS and a time compressed Diablo 2. Basically, you thump things, get gold, and then thump more things. Not very deep. Do people get addicted because of the social aspect? Correct me if I'm wrong. Unsure

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General Gaming News atdsutm 118 134,557 07-30-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  A nice topic on gaming clonezero 2 5,142 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Hempire
  Your most memorable gaming moments AppleHead 47 48,143 09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Goat
  Weekly PSP gaming roundup Twin-Skies 10 12,876 08-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Grim