Current time: 03-28-2024, 07:22 PM
Help for a Gundam newbie.
Gundam? Gundamn? What is this you are all talking about?

Alright, this may be as good a time as any to admit that I've never actually watched more than 5 episodes (at the most) of Gundam. Of whatever series. So I don't actually know what you're all talking about here, although I do have some rough idea of the plot (Earth, colonies, big giant robots killing the crap outta each other) as well as the characters (Heero Yuy, Wufei, Zechs, and the rest of the original cast). However, due to my inquisitive nature I'd actually like to know if there's really something captivating in this anime.

Which one is the most interesting in your opinion, and is the easiest for any newbie to understand? Which one has the most action?

Note that I'm not above complicated storylines, as long as they're not too convoluted. Also note that although I can appreciate the intricacies of the details in every Gundam model, I don't know them all intimately so if you start name-dropping I might not know what the hell you're talking about.

With that, carry on!
Hmmm. Maybe you should try the "first" Gundam show (Gundam).

Then again, I still haven't watched every Gundam shows (both UC and AU :p )
[Image: nines.jpg]
The first Gundam series is named "Gundam"? As in yun lang?

Makes sense though, that that would be the one for newbs. Thanks BD.
In my opinion, "Mobile Suit Gundam," the first series starring Amuro Ray, was definitely the best. It really captured the drama of war.

Most die-hard Gundam fans will tell you that Gundam Zeta was the best but I dunno I just didn't dig it I stopped watching it half way through.

I also watched Gundam G. It was... interesting. Think of it as a super-robot anime in the vain of Voltes V and you might just like it. You'll end up hating it though if you try comparing it to the original.

Gundam Wing is probably the most love-it-or-hate-it of all the series. Too many annoying characters.

Gundam Seed is probably the best Gundam Series set in the Alternate Universe timeline so far. Really easy to get into. Verdict: Should have had more war, less romance.
The "mobile suit gundam" was definitely the best. I mean some scenes made me cry, it really did have a lot of drama. Plus it has the most number of cool poses than that of the SEED which obviously they keep repeating the same pictures only with a different background -_-
don't worry Mix, I'm a Gundam n00bie too.

>_> hell, for the longest time, I used to think Gundam Wing was the first series of Gundam...lol.
ಠ_ಠ
Yep I'll be watching Mobile Suit Gundam muna... seeing as it's the first series ever. It's old school anime, you can tell by the art.

Plus Amuro Ray and Char Aznable are legendary names.

Thanks guys!
the original gundam has roots from super robot series ... eg the protaginist mech doesn't change ... lol that made the original series really gritty ... its where you see amuro's ability shines...

and on the question of who's the best... I say no one ... lol just to the the futile efforts of millions of battling fans... anyway unless their on the same universe and do hate each other it won't happen XD

hmmm seed was INTENTIONALLY made to be a "homage" to the original series ... its a carbon copy of the original that's why when a person exposed to Z and ZZ saw Stellar they (and I ... lol) knew she's gonna die...
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

clonezero Wrote:hmmm seed was INTENTIONALLY made to be a "homage" to the original series ... its a carbon copy of the original that's why when a person exposed to Z and ZZ saw Stellar they (and I ... lol) knew she's gonna die...
I disagree on that one, it was the sequel DESTINY which was
made to pay homage to the original series. That is why zakus
and ricdoms made it into the show and the inclusion of other similarities.

Nix Wrote:Gundam Seed is probably the best Gundam Series set in the Alternate Universe timeline so far. Really easy to get into. Verdict: Should have had more war, less romance.
On this one I strongly agree Salute
I liked the idea of having gundams on both opposing parties
and the idea of the phase shift armor which explains the
mechs invincibility but only upto a certain extent.
Ninja Ninja 
If I were to get into watching Gundam, I'd start first with the best offerings and work my way into other series. That way, you won't have to worry about not losing interest early on, so If I had to recommend a few, here's what it'll be:

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS team

This would have to be the Gundam series that is closest to the real face of war fighting as it can be. No overly powered Mobile Suits, just grunts fighting a war and trying to survive. Even the Gundams in this show are merely better versions of the standard grunt MS and can still be destroyed by conventional weapons and tactics. The series is basically a realistic take on war in the UC Gundam world, if you want your Gundam series with a dose of war movies.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

This is how personal the Gundam series can be in portraying the consequences of war among your average person on the sidelines. The 6 episode OVA pretty much explains that war ...is all fun and games untill someone loses an eye.

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

EPIC! Its probably one of the best UC gundam series right beside Char's Counterattack... The only difference is, you don't really need to grasp the whole Gundam universe to like this one. :p

After watching, just pick up another Gundam title and see if you'll like it. Tastes and preferences differ, and Gundam isn't really an anime for everyone anyway.
If you want standouts from the UC era, go for 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, Zeta and Char's Counterattack. F91 and Turn-A really ain't that good.

If you're interested in the alternate universes, X and SEED are good starting points.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
I recomend- 08th MS team,Stardust memory,Char's counterattack

In my opinion, UC series are made for grownups. I mean the drama and suspense are kickass! lol
true -_-
Forget SEED, stick to UC.
Ask most people which series they liked most and they'll say Gundam Wing.
To me, it only became a favorite because it was the first to be aired here.
'Signatures are overrated.'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gundam Build Divers Lord_Leperman 6 6,203 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans [G-Tekketsu] Lord_Leperman 12 13,505 04-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: The Mike
  Gundam Unicorn Lord_Leperman 281 296,478 02-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt Lord_Leperman 2 4,314 11-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Fox
  Gundam _AGE Serene 31 30,063 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hell Heart
  K-on Gundam zero_kanipan 6 8,614 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Shintetsu
  Gundam 00 2nd Season cabs 25 25,674 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Fox
  Gundam seed destiny the movie? EtherMaster_X102A 3 6,737 07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Sforza
  Where may I watch/download the episodes of the ORIGINAL Mobile Suit Gundam? PhAYSe 1 4,114 11-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Last Post: NiX
  New Gundam series: Mobile Suit GundamOO Lord_Leperman 34 26,380 11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Last Post: CZCisco