Current time: 04-19-2024, 08:03 PM
Books you're currently reading~
Now that's a good read...

Currently reading: Absolute C++ Programming...
Preparing for next sem. ehehe.
Nerese Wrote:Currently reading: Absolute C++ Programming...

Is this the one by Savitch? I'm reading that too. Hahaha

On the to-read list:

Mat Buckland's Programming Game AI by Example
Noel Llopis' C++ for Game Programmers
theGrim Wrote:
Nerese Wrote:Currently reading: Absolute C++ Programming...

Is this the one by Savitch? I'm reading that too. Hahaha

On the to-read list:
Noel Llopis' C++ for Game Programmers

Yesh Boss G, that's the one.

The second link got my attention.
Whoa.. Haha. Anyone does FORTRAN? We were made to learn that language in school. LOLZ!

I'm also reading Best of Youngblood (1994-1996) and the ACTEX study manual for Exam 1/Course P on the side aside from Chronicles of Amber.

Side note: funny, it's only recently that this thread has hit its second page. Have we been reading less?
"Numbers are not part of the real world; they're part of something else."

-Prof. Rolly Panopio, UPLB Math Division
Nope, we're playing more.
Fortran? Hindi ko inabot yun...
Because FORTRAN sucks (ok, that's pushing it.. haha). It's like Latin, some people call it dead. But the truth is, only a few people use the language. It's mostly used for purely mathematical computations.

maitreya Wrote:Because FORTRAN sucks (ok, that's pushing it.. haha). It's like Latin, some people call it dead. But the truth is, only a few people use the language . It's mostly used for purely mathematical computations.

Then IT IS dead. JK...
Books na lang nun ang natira sa library namin, wala na rin yung subject... Mahirap ba gamitin yun?
This is OT already, but Fortram is pretty ok to use for calculations (read: strictly mathematical stuff). But aside from calculating things, I don't what else it can be used for. It's usually used for only specific topic/subjects. Another problem of it is that it lacks many functions; you'd have to make your own functions from stratch. It doesn't even have a random number generator (though I heard it could be programmed). Excel could probably do better in general, but like I said, depending on what has to gotten, Fortran can be better/worse.

The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford.

Hey, I was just about to post something too.

Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner

I swear if Ozymandias was a real person, he'd be Steven Levitt (except Levitt is, by his own admission, the weakest human being on the planet). This treasure hunt of a book runs through all the causalities and correlations that makes events happen (or not), and makes the world function as usual (or not).

It's interesting to read because the subject matter is diverse (like, what's the common thing about public school teachers and sumo wrestlers, why the Ku Klux Klan is the same as real-estate agents, and why crack dealers live with their moms, among other things), the language used is easy to follow, and the ideas are well laid out. Highly recommended.

They have a blog on the New York times, here: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/
Been reading Y - The Last Man. Not bad so far.
Web Design - For Dummies 2nd Edition. Guns
I've just finished The Mythology Class by Arnold Arre (lol plug).

And also, Gerry Alanguilan's Wasted, which is very very good indeed.
Almost done reading through Y: The Last Man. I highly recommend it. What if every mammal with a Y chromosome suddenly died and you're the only one left?
Ooh, sounds interesting. Where can I find that book?