Current time: 03-28-2024, 08:09 PM
No flying?
Hey guys, long time AC fan here (loved the original 3 on PSX, and the first few on PS2.)

I was a bit a disappointed the newschool controls in AC:4A (the newest one I've played), felt like the game lost the feel and control-ability I loved in the older games.

Anyway, just recently got the urge to play some AC again and noticed AC:V has been out for a while already. However, as I've researched it my enthusiasm about it has gradually decreased...

It looks like you can't fly at all in this one? Just slow your descent with boosts? And you have to hop off buildings to gain altitude?

If that's truly the case that sounds really weird and lame... but as I search for community opinions around the net, no one else seems to be annoyed or upset with that change..?

I want to hear some opinions on this from long time fans of the series.

-Crom
I honestly like the idea. It's more tactical that way, and ACV is all about tactics. This game is one of my favorites from the series because it enforces team play and tactics rather than just raw speed
^ this.

I can understand how you'd feel about the AC:4A, as it overhauls the entire system and seemingly makes it about who can dodge what fast enough. However in ACV, it's a throwback to the older AC games where tactical shooting in city-scapes was crucial. You don't have the ability to hold down the boost button to fly. Instead, you've got a boost button that likens to the quick-boost of AC4/4A. It's not infinitely spam-able, however with enough practice and energy management this'll be one of your most important means of maneuvering around the field, the other method being Boost Drive.

Boost drive is now basically your only way to get any air-time in this game. Tanks can hover quickly, but they're usually ground-based bastions of firepower. For the other leg types, boost drive is an option essential in outmaneuvering an opponent. In city-scape maps, it will be your best friend other than your quick-boost. To Boost Drive you stick to a wall, and hold the 'Jump' button, and depending on your where your left analog is facing, you will ascend, go left, or go right. If you chain these together, it's a lot more effective and cost-efficient than managing your quick-boost to get around.

All in all, it plays different, but the difference is what makes it refreshing. It's not that far-off from playing the older AC games, in my opinion. The community is good for the most part. Expect a few jerks and assholes as there always will be some of those in any gaming community. Also, if you're looking for a Story-driven game, you may be dissapointed. Everything's great and all, but the storyline is even more convoluted than the most convoluted AC game in the past. Despite that, it's fun to play that guy who saves the world again. There are a handful of Story Missions and more than 80 Free Missions, so if Multiplayer doesn't entice you that much, you still have a lot to accomplish. But take it from me, I'm usually a hermit when it comes to games like this, despite the Multiplayer, but if you find a good team, stick to it, have fun, and your stay in ACV will be one hell of a ride. It wouldn't have been as much fun if I wasn't on RR (naks LOL )

/wall of text

TL;DR: Despite the differences, this game will provide you with awesome times and lolworthy moments so you can BAMF your way to victory. Or something. LOL
(08-13-2012, 03:11 PM)Crom Wrote: If that's truly the case that sounds really weird and lame... but as I search for community opinions around the net, no one else seems to be annoyed or upset with that change..?

I want to hear some opinions on this from long time fans of the series.

-Crom

I actually like the fact that the developers are exploring different boosting methods(I'm still waiting for space-worthy ACs). Although I find ACV's boosting is less favorable than AC4 or the old school ones.

But it's not always the boosting mechanics that upset the players. It's usually the parts imbalance, broken parts, terrible single player mode, and little community support that makes the game suck.
I like things that are new or less common and accept imbalance to a degree, but if it's to where my weapons strongly caters to stealth/teamwork stragedies rather than frontal on the individual due to the speed and limitation issue opposed to auto-lock weapons, then I can't enjoy that. I believe that Armored Core 5 is favorable than the 4th series, but the execution from the system was not preferable. I'll will stay with the older games until that issue is resolved.
ACV just lacks parts that actually works IMO.. I guess it takes a sequel to make things work again..
Fuunyaah~
I saw this thread and I immediately started thinking of this.
[Image: 213920.gif?v=1]
"It's snowing women." -Tsukika.
There are two things that I will always laugh at: "Yuno F***ing Gasai" and something else.
(08-15-2012, 06:01 PM)Hell Heart Wrote: ACV just lacks parts that actually works IMO.. I guess it takes a sequel to make things work again..

Bingo. If you ask me, they could have made LR bigger and I would have been happy. ACV is much better than fA but suffers the fore mentioned issue with the part selection. I doooo like the weapon upgrade system in ACV better than fA.

Seriously.

You're like instantly locked out of multiplayer if you haven't beaten the game at least 6 times in fA. Vomit
[Image: 43-Diddy-Ballin.gif]
"Armored Core is so boring; I'd categorize it with Tetris."