Current time: 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Poll: I'm...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Religious
33.33%
9 33.33%
Agnostic
25.93%
7 25.93%
Atheist
18.52%
5 18.52%
Deist
22.22%
6 22.22%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Organized Religion Discussion Thread
And because I don't understand:

Definition of SANCTIMONIOUS: hypocritically pious or devout (Merriam-Webster)
Parochialism means being provincial, being narrow in scope, or considering only small sections of an issue. (Wikipedia)

And I concur with your statement.
(02-08-2012, 06:23 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...s-20120202

A word of warning: This article is potential rage fuel.

gotta love humanity!!!!
(02-08-2012, 06:23 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...s-20120202

Rage fuel indeed. I hate it when I read up on things like this. Humanity is going to stubbornly hold onto its outdated beliefs and force it onto others. I'd like to think I'm pretty religious, but when someone allows the discrimination of others based on religion and all that jazz it's just appalling. Accursed closed-minded hypocrites.
(02-11-2012, 11:30 PM)Zefyr Wrote:

Rage fuel indeed. I hate it when I read up on things like this. Humanity is going to stubbornly hold onto its outdated beliefs and force it onto others. I'd like to think I'm pretty religious, but when someone allows the discrimination of others based on religion and all that jazz it's just appalling. Accursed closed-minded hypocrites.

People like Michelle Bachmann and these bullies are among the few reasons I wish there was a real hell.

[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02...-says.html

Italy to end tax breaks on Church.

I think this is awesome progress for the world. Here's to hoping that (somehow, someday) the PHL will follow suit.
This isn't "news", but it does fall under the whole religion category. I'd like to know, what do you guys plan giving up for Lent?

Personally, I'm giving up rice, smoking, and Ms. Mary Palmer. All three are difficult, which is the point. If I manage to make it through Lent without smoking I might be able to give it up for good. Smile
Haha I think it's apparent that I don't believe in the custom any more, but I do see the value of using it as a catalyst for betterment/discipline. If anything, I ought to ween myself from procrastinating. =/
I still have a bit of faith, even though i'm a non-practicing Catholic by this point. I tried giving up pork and beef last year for Lent but failed halfway through. I'll see if i can give up softdrinks this year.

and prawns.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
(02-22-2012, 04:11 PM)NiX Wrote: Haha I think it's apparent that I don't believe in the custom any more, but I do see the value of using it as a catalyst for betterment/discipline.

Yeah actually, this is exactly how I feel. Tongue
(02-22-2012, 04:39 PM)Fox Wrote:
and prawns.

Why?! Sino nagsabing masama yun? Hindi masama yun kung walang nasasaktan. Blink
(02-22-2012, 05:05 PM)NiX Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:39 PM)Fox Wrote:
and prawns.

Why?! Sino nagsabing masama yun? Hindi masama yun kung walang nasasaktan. Blink

Oo nga. Sugpo o Kasamaan?
'Signatures are overrated.'
Italy planning to tax the Vatican.

About-fucking-TIME!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17072211

Quote:Italy's Catholic Church faces an annual multi-million euro bill over government plans to strip it of its tax-exempt status.

Prime Minister Mario Monti has announced the Vatican must pay taxes on non-religious property, from which it previously enjoyed an exemption.

The annual cost could be up to 720m euros ($945m; £598m) according to municipal government bodies.

Italy's Catholic Church has 110,000 properties, worth about 9bn euros.

It includes shopping centres and a range of residential property.

In December, the government reintroduced a tax paid by anyone who owns land or property in Italy - which the Church does not pay.

But a growing wave of Italians are opposed to what they see as special privileges in the face of a tightening economy.

Following their government's latest austerity measure package, more than 130,000 people signed an online petition calling for the Church's tax exempt status to be revoked.

Since 2005, church-run groups and organisations have not been classed as official commercial bodies and have been exempt from paying property tax.

According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, tax authorities will calculate how much of a property is used purely for religious purposes and tax it proportionately.

This means a church would remain exempt but a chapel which operates an hostel would pay tax accordingly.

Earlier this week, new figures showed Italy has entered recession, after two consecutive quarters of negative growth between July and December 2011.
Hell, it's about time.
Umm, that was posted by Nix on the previous page. Tongue Still, signs of progress!
Archie Comics CEO's reply when told by Anti-Gay groups to drop a comic featuring the series' first gay wedding:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/29/o...toys-r-us/

Quote:We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I’ve said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday. We’re sorry the American Family Association/One Million Moms feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people.

Freakin' awesome. It's like my childhood suddenly came back, all grown up and mature, in a good way Big grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teh interesting animal-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 241 297,690 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting PHL-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 126 169,171 04-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread Sforza 1,527 1,630,018 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Filipino Freethinkers // RH Bill discussion Twin-Skies 11 19,574 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: clonezero
  2010 RP Elections Discussion Thread Sforza 159 176,910 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fox
  The Obama thread atdsutm 16 22,013 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Last Post: J.E_Magog