Current time: 03-28-2024, 06:10 PM
Audiophilia
Looks like a fucking magnet on your head. LOL

I would expect it reproduces sound like you're in a recording studio. Clean and very pronounced music. I mean, it better, for the way it looks. Haha.
Got new headphones a few days ago but didn't write about them as I was too busy enjoying them Smile They're Beyerdynamic DT880 cans.
Got them 2nd hand, really well maintained, from a member on headphiles that preferred the AKG K701s (who's sound I liked a bit less) over them.

[Image: beyerdynamic-DT880.jpg]

When amped properly, all I can say about them is... live performance Ninja Excellent clarity and definition on the instruments, and a very natural sounding wide sound stage. They pair up quite well with the tube amp I'm using, because they tend to be bright out of solid state amps. Every detail of recordings are produced accurately. In jazz pieces, it's quite easy to tell the type of drum being played. They're good for any genre, too. Because of these cans, I plan to sell my Grados.

Edit: I've sold off my ATH-m40fs and ATH-FC700s, so I don't think I have too many headphones Tongue
This guy took 188 peso headphones from cd-r king, removed the drivers, then bought wooden napkin holders at landmark and used them as cups.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=726.0

[Image: N82_487-001.jpg]

[Image: N82_517-cdrk.jpg]

[Image: N82_509-cdrk.jpg]

They ended up sounding better than headphones 10x their price. Definitely one of the most interesting makeovers (does this qualify as just a mod?) I've seen.
awesome mod!
*i'll keep that in mind and use HEMP WOOD*
==========It's easier to believe a lie told a thousand times than a truth you've never heard before==========

February 1938 - Popular Mechanics Magazine: “NEW BILLION-DOLLAR CROP”

[Image: 1234234723396-1-1-1.jpg]
The original PlayStation, a high-end CD player? Strange but true.

Quote:It's easy to find old PlayStations. Sony made a ton of the things and they sell for about $20 on eBay and in used game stores. A lot of places have the things stacked up like cordwood, as there just isn't much of a demand for them. So why bother to keep one around? Here's a fact that has been floating around audiophile circles for a while but I just found out about: the original Playstation is a top-quality audio CD player. Crazy, huh?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2006/11/5935.ars
Coincidentally, my toasted PS1 (got plugged into 220V) can still play audio CDs but can no longer play games. Tongue That's pretty cool.
(09-13-2010, 02:58 PM)NiX Wrote: Coincidentally, my toasted PS1 (got plugged into 220V) can still play audio CDs but can no longer play games. Tongue That's pretty cool.

Are you selling? LOL What kind of outs does it have? Is it the integrated plug Sony uses for video and analog audio?
(08-26-2010, 05:02 PM)Sforza Wrote: Because of these cans, I plan to sell my Grados.

For how much? Tongue

I pulled the trigger on the Sennheiser HD 448s last week. Currently still burning them in, and am torn between leaving them playing white noise for 100 hours or just using them regularly. I'll probably do the latter.

Mids and highs are clear and sharp, enjoyable at all volume levels. Sound staging isn't the most stellar right now as it sounds narrower than I'd hoped, but it's getting better. And yes, more details are coming out. Instruments I didn't take note of before now jump out. It's fun discovering new stuff to old songs/tracks you know.

Bass is less pronounced and has more bloom (mas sabog) than the HD 438 - I tried them out both before settling on the 448.

Miraculously, my iPod Touch can handle this thing without the need for an amplifier. The highest volume achievable on my player is a relatively high volume already, so I'll hold off on buying the amp for now. It drains battery like a bitch though.

Comfort wise, it's just like all circumaural Sennheisers - fitting snugly over your ears and around your head. Padding feels great. I've read that your ears can get hot and start to sweat after a few hours of wearing these, but I haven't experienced that yet, thankfully.
Decided -not- to sell the Grados anymore until I can afford a Grado upgrade. The Grado sound is really unique, so I guess they're worth keeping. After more listening, it's pretty easy to tell that the DT880 is balanced and has something similar to the Grado's level of mid-range transparency but applied to the entire sound spectrum. The Grados add a fun amount of color to most music though, which is why I'm keeping them for now Smile

Re: The HD448 bass, you actually prefer sabog bass? I think the term would be flabby or boomy LOL Reviews said the HD448 soundstage has depth, but not width. I think it's like that with most closed cans. How are the mids compared to the SR60? Are they aggressive and forward as well? What genres do you think would be fitting for those cans?

Anyway, please bring them to the next RR meet, interested in trying these out Big grin
Oh and I got Denon AH-D1001s recently but I'm still going to mod them Tongue They sound great though! IMO, best value for money under $99 thus far.
Also got a Little Dot MK1+ portable amp, and a SuperPro707 DAC with digital in and RCA outs. Been a bit lazy to write about the new acquisitions though LOL

My target portable atm is the Senn HD-25 1-II. Full-sized is probably the ATH-AD2000.

I also need a good headphone amp.
Um guys, what can you recomend for commuting earphones/headset. My senns just got bustedSad
This is also a punishment for you.
You will be the defender of justice and wear a mask forever,
you won't be able to live as yourself.
You will sacrifice all your happiness for the world.. Eternally..
(Last words to Zero - Lelouch Vi Britania)
(09-15-2010, 05:38 PM)Doom Trigger Wrote: Um guys, what can you recomend for commuting earphones/headset. My senns just got bustedSad

What are your preferences? Noise isolation? Comfort? Looks?

And most importantly, what's your budget? Tongue
(09-15-2010, 04:03 PM)Sforza Wrote: Re: The HD448 bass, you actually prefer sabog bass? I think the term would be flabby or boomy LOL Reviews said the HD448 soundstage has depth, but not width. I think it's like that with most closed cans. How are the mids compared to the SR60? Are they aggressive and forward as well? What genres do you think would be fitting for those cans?

Boomy, yup that's the term. I'd prefer more articulated bass, but I liked the mids of the 448 more than the 438. Depth vs. width? That'd explain it. I was hearing the difference more if I imagined the singer up front and the instruments at the back than I could when I imagined the singer in the middle and the instruments at the sides.

Mids aren't as bright as the SR60 from what I remember. The treble isn't as airy, but like any pair of Sennheisers the focus is more on creating darker, warmer sound.

Genres: jazz and classical first. Acoustic/alternative next. Hip-hop/R&B last. Wouldn't really recommend them for rock since I've listened to a pair of Grados. Tongue

Quote:Anyway, please bring them to the next RR meet, interested in trying these out Big grin

Sure, will do. Smile
(09-15-2010, 11:15 PM)Grim Wrote: Boomy, yup that's the term. I'd prefer more articulated bass, but I liked the mids of the 448 more than the 438. Depth vs. width? That'd explain it. I was hearing the difference more if I imagined the singer up front and the instruments at the back than I could when I imagined the singer in the middle and the instruments at the sides.

I think the problem with getting articulated bass on that category of headphones (size + closed) is controlling it so it doesn't blend into the lower midrange. I'm interested in giving them a listen because they've been called mid-centric, which means the mids are emphasized over the other ranges. Normally that means they'd be good for vocals and acoustics. That's the opposite of most Audio Technica headphones, which have recessed mids.
(09-15-2010, 08:37 PM)Sforza Wrote:
(09-15-2010, 05:38 PM)Doom Trigger Wrote: Um guys, what can you recomend for commuting earphones/headset. My senns just got bustedSad

What are your preferences? Noise isolation? Comfort? Looks?

And most importantly, what's your budget? Tongue

I just need some earphones that sounds awsome(forgive the ignorance in audiophilia terms) and has some(if possible, better) noise isolation. Comfort and looks don't matter much to me, buget is 2k below.

edit: just did some research, Senn and Shure come up top for earphones, as for the model, can you recomend me some?
This is also a punishment for you.
You will be the defender of justice and wear a mask forever,
you won't be able to live as yourself.
You will sacrifice all your happiness for the world.. Eternally..
(Last words to Zero - Lelouch Vi Britania)
(09-16-2010, 12:04 PM)Doom Trigger Wrote: I just need some earphones that sounds awsome(forgive the ignorance in audiophilia terms) and has some(if possible, better) noise isolation. Comfort and looks don't matter much to me, buget is 2k below.

edit: just did some research, Senn and Shure come up top for earphones, as for the model, can you recomend me some?

DON'T GET SHURES (I would know, I have Shures!) Glare

er.. post to be updated in a bit.

Okay. Here.

Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 170/200 - one of the best IEMs in it's price range, thumping bass without sacrificing details..
Sennheiser PX100-ii - Improved PX100's, loses the hard case from the PX100.
Sennheiser PX200-ii - Best update Sennheiser made on any of its headphones.

Koss PortaPro
Philips SHP5400 - Clear mids and tight bass considering the price and easily found in malls as well.
Soundmagic PL50 - Soundmagic's top-tier single balanced-armature IEM. Dark sounding but may i say the best mids that i have ever heard in its price range.

Other good options:

(3A1) RadiopPaq Jazz
(3A2) Head-Direct RE2
(3A3) Nuforce NE-7M / NE-6
(3A4) JVC HA-FX300 BiMetal
(3A5) MEElectronics Ai-M6 / M6
(3A6) MEElectronics M11
(3A7) Soundmagic PL50
(3A8) Cyclone PR1 Pro
(3A9) Skullcandy TiTan
(3A10) Apple Dual-Driver IEMs (ADDIEM)