Current time: 03-29-2024, 06:56 PM
DIY Silent PCs
for those who like 'em silent
Here are some modifications/upgrades I tried on my rig to lessen its operational sound output ^^
I decided to post them here to give others some idea if they also like to pipe down their noisy CPUs Big grin.

One factor which contributes to noise generation is vibration. Namely, internal components with moving parts which transfers those vibration to the case itself.
Hard disk drives for example generates strong vibrations as it is used more or as it ages due to its mechanical motor. One good way to counter this is to remove any fixed contact with the case itself. To do this, I made use of garter (bungee) cords to replace the the fixed hdd placement bays.

[Image: IMG_1781.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1782.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1784.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1785.jpg]

By doing this, I eliminated the vibration problem and also added a strong shock resistance as a bonus for the hdds Woot

Another factor which adds operation noise are the fans in the CPUs. One cannot just remove them because they are key components in maintaining good airflow within to prevent heat buildups and to provide cold air to the different components in your CPU.
Two factors mostly affect the noise output of fans. First one is the size, bigger fans tend to create less noise and can deliver greater airflow without the need for higher rotational speeds. The second factor is the rotational speed of the fan (measured in RPM).
note: fan motor technology also helps ^^
In terms of noise output, it is measured in decibel (dB). The lower the value, the lower the noise is. 20dB is the tolerable range IMO Big grin

In order not to sacrifice anything, I made use of a multiple fan controller. This enabled me to freely control any of the 4 fan's speed connected to it. As a bonus, it also provides me with real time temperature readings inside my CPU. This way, I could lower the fan speed lowering the noise it creates when i'm not doing any taxing operations on my PC.

[Image: IMG_1801.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1805.jpg]

It seats comfortably in my front panel eating 1 drive port ^^
note: for these kind of fan controllers, fans with 3pins are needed. Ordinary case fans mostly only has 2 pins used for power. The 3rd pin is used by fans with circuits that can report their current rotational speed.
Controllers without displays are also available and are quite cheap compared to the ones with displays

[Image: IMG_1807.jpg]

My previous setup only has 1 controllable fan shown above for example.

That's it for now ^^
Have you made mods/upgrades like yourself with the same theme in mind? Post them here Big grin

Domo Domo Domo
Ninja Ninja 
Clever use of garter bands, great stuff and very informative. the DIY setup should make PCs last longer, as one of the enemies of hard disks is vibration.

Mind if I use it for front page news? Big grin
(10-13-2009, 07:54 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: Clever use of garter bands, great stuff and very informative. the DIY setup should make PCs last longer, as one of the enemies of hard disks is vibration.

Mind if I use it for front page news? Big grin

sure go ahead, i'm glad it serves some purpose LOL

tnx for reading Happy
Ninja Ninja 
This sounds like a good idea~!

Garter bands (bungee cord) to suppress vibration and noise... I'm not really very good with computer hardware, but this is right up my alley. :3

I finally have use for those old stroller garter bands used to secure bags that I used to use during my elementary school days. LOL
[Image: Sig07.png]

"I love chocolate-covered Sophie." A. Nina
[Image: IMG_1805.jpg]

Effing SEXY.

Really great job, Cabs. Not as busy with work anymore? hahah.
(10-14-2009, 04:08 PM)NiX Wrote: [Image: IMG_1805.jpg]

Effing SEXY.

Really great job, Cabs. Not as busy with work anymore? hahah.

tnx Big grin
We're now at the testing phase of the project, so its not that busy anymore except when freakin' bugs appear Jason
Ninja Ninja