Current time: 05-12-2024, 06:37 AM
What the hell are you working on?
The work in progress thread
Good, clean work on that unit, man. Make sure your cutters are as sharp as possible and as level with the plastic when cleaning up the nubs after separating the parts from the sprues. If you're using a box cutter, snap off the old blade when you start feeling more resistance from the plastic. Same goes for hobby knives, just swap out the old blade for a new one. That should lessen the chances of getting those white marks. In the near-impossible-to-avoid event that those spots do show up, you can either sand them down or just paint over them.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
my box cutters are old ~.~ they rust on them actually XD i'll try getting a new one. was looking for a hobby knife but couldnt find one at national. then again wasnt sure what they looked like. anyway, i tried sanding them with 600 grit sandpaper, but it ended up worse ~.~ should i use something finer or more coarse?
600 grit is too low. A sheet with 1000 grit or higher would be preferable. Or better yet, just paint the whole thing. Big grin
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
pass on painting. no space to do it. hmm, how about it if i just go over the white parts with a marker?

btw, passed by Lil's at SM Mega some time ago. yung gundam marker kit around Php900+ 5 pieces. worth it ba yun?
What colors were those? Special edition ba? Medyo mahal kasi eh, you can get those at around php120+ per marker kung tingi-tingi yung bili mo.
(01-20-2011, 02:25 PM)Fox Wrote: What colors were those? Special edition ba? Medyo mahal kasi eh, you can get those at around php120+ per marker kung tingi-tingi yung bili mo.

hindi ko natanong. nagmamadali kasi ako nung dumaan ako.

anyway, will try a 1k grit sand paper and see if i can remove the white spots.
Current progress on AA's Arch-Angel custom unit.

Before painting
[Image: AAbefore.jpg]

After painting
[Image: AAfter.jpg]

"You eyeballin' me, son?"
[Image: AA00.jpg]

More pics inside
[Image: AA01.jpg]

[Image: AA02.jpg]

[Image: AA03.jpg]

[Image: AA04.jpg]

[Image: AA05.jpg]

[Image: AA06.jpg]

[Image: AA07.jpg]

This isn't actually fully finished yet. Lots of work still to be done, like little detail parts, light weathering and panel lines. Also, the weapons haven't been painted yet, as per the client's instructions.

Also, some progress pics of the Liberta Modifica project, as requested by Serene.

[Image: libertamodifica00.jpg]

More pics inside
[Image: libertamodifica01.jpg]

[Image: libertamodifica02.jpg]

[Image: libertamodifica03.jpg]

Obligatory flying pose.
[Image: libertamodifica04.jpg]

[Image: libertamodifica05.jpg]

Buster Shield slightly modified from a 1/100 Astray Red Frame shield, courtesy of Doom Trigger.
[Image: libertamodifica06.jpg]

Extended funnels.
[Image: libertamodifica07.jpg]

Wings with the funnels launched.
[Image: libertamodifica08.jpg]

[Image: libertamodifica09.jpg]

Again, this isn't fully finished yet. Well, to be exact, the main body is pretty much completed and painted. The panel lines are also done. What's just missing is some weathering, the rest of the decals and the heavy beam rifle that's currently being modded by Serene.
(01-31-2011, 06:52 PM)Fox Wrote: Again, this isn't fully finished yet. Well, to be exact, the main body is pretty much completed and painted. The panel lines are also done. What's just missing is some weathering, the rest of the decals and the heavy beam rifle that's currently being modded by Serene.

Making it only 95% complete. Which may take a while as the rifle is somewhat missing right now. I'll find it somewhere sooner or later...or soimeday. I'll manhandle the weathering, Fox.
'Signatures are overrated.'
(02-01-2011, 10:21 PM)Serene Wrote: I'll manhandle the weathering, Fox.

Please define "manhandle". I'm sure plastic kits aren't rugged enough to withstand being dragged and tossed all around one's work area. Jason
I gave a bootleg (but good) Hydra Gundam kit to Trace. I hope to see pics of it here. Smile
(02-08-2011, 12:06 AM)NiX Wrote: I gave a bootleg (but good) Hydra Gundam kit to Trace. I hope to see pics of it here. Smile

Don't worry, man. Trace has been spending the past few days trimming the flash from that particular kit. I'm gonna ask him to let me paint it once it's been tidied up. Tongue

On my part, i've spent the past few nights (basically, the morning for you daywalkers) taking my time in snapping together AA's FoxEye model kit. As per the client's specifications, this will not be undergoing any radical recoloring. Instead of being subjected to a rather distasteful mismash of shades, it will retain the plain, bland coloration it was boxed in.

[Image: FoxEye01.jpg]

The thing that's been bothering me with this kit is that the legs are oddly unbalanced. You would expect that a plamo this size would be as steady as an M1 tank. However, for all the girth that the legs have, most of the bulk and weight is in the middle, on the shins and knees. This makes for a higher center of gravity than i'm comfortable with. Even with just the AC itself, it doesn't stand as steadily as it should be. I dread to think what it'll feel like once i've built and attached the weapons.

[Image: FoxEye00.jpg]

In order to correct this asinine aberration, i've decided to use steel-filled epoxy to add a bit more weight to the kit. All that's needed for the resin and hardening compound to work is to give it a good kneading.

[Image: FoxEyeepoxy.jpg]

After half a minute or so of rolling the stuff between my fingers, a few chunks of the decidedly-unpleasant smelling putty have been liberally wedged into the hollow spaces of the JACKAL2's feet. Once they finish curing later, the pieces should be quite heavier and the entire kit more stable.

[Image: FoxEyehollowed.jpg]

And in other news, AA's AC unit has just undergone a few rounds of drybrushing, to weather it down a bit. Still not completed, as i'm not yet totally satisfied with the outcome.

[Image: AAcustomweathered.jpg]

Damn, i love this hobby. Woot
Not worried. More of excited. Smile
That some mighty fine weathering, Fox. Smile
Thanks, boss. Actually, AA's unit sorta became my guinea pig for this one, as it was the first AC i attempted doing more than just light weathering on. Happy
That looks AMAZING! Really, that's one fine looking, weathered AC. Is Foxeye going to get the same treatment? I can't wait to see the results.