Current time: 03-28-2024, 10:48 PM
OS Wars
(01-30-2009, 12:46 AM)Grim Wrote: I haven't tried Puppy yet, pero yan na daw yung pinakamabilis na Linux na meron, short of compiling Linux from scratch. Yes it does look like, in your words, dogshit. LOL

I'm thinking of getting MacPup instead, http://www.macpup.org/

It's Puppy Linux that doesn't look like dogshit LOL Will have to add java runtime and openoffice on my own though. I hope it comes with flash.
Jake, there are other versions of Puppy Linux here:

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets

Yep, macpup is there too. Like I said, it stops looking like dogshit when it gets customized... but then it loses its intended portability. XD

I also just downloaded Slax for something to compare with Puppy.

Just the download options for Slax already impressed me. You can customize your ISO download right from their website. Basically you can customize the whole thing even before you download!

http://www.slax.org/build.php

-----------

Here's the lowdown so far:

Puppy boots fast, runs fast. It looks and handles like dogshit though. But to be fair, it does everything you need it to do right out of the box and it's really easy to configure too. So yeah, it does its job of being a tiny alternative OS.

Slax looks and handles great. It feels really familiar too because it's laid out like Windows. But I just can't find how to configure it with my ethernet! -_- It loses major points for that for now. Oh and it takes a while to load too if you're just booting it from the CD. So yeah, pretty, but lacks focus. Now about that ethernet...
Hey Mix, during your stint with Linux, did you totally remove Windows or did you do a dual boot? And if you opted for dual boot, well did you experience any problems? I'm planning to do a dual boot on one of our older, slower laptops here.
uhm... I'm thinking of changing the OS of my laptop but I'm not sure if I'll get the right drivers... what am I supposed to do with it?

The nearer you go towards the light...
The greater your shadow becomes...

[Image: rational.jpg]
[Image: exteel.png]
What OS do you intend to use? I hear Ubunta already has a good amount of drivers. Whatever the case, do a lot of reading before committing.
(02-03-2009, 08:03 PM)NiX Wrote: Hey Mix, during your stint with Linux, did you totally remove Windows or did you do a dual boot? And if you opted for dual boot, well did you experience any problems? I'm planning to do a dual boot on one of our older, slower laptops here.

I dual booted. Partitioned my hard drive first before installing Linux. I've also tried installing Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and Linux Mint over the same partition, without running into any problems Windows-side. Basically, if you partition your HD, issues from one end won't really spill over to the other, unless it's really the physical hardware that has the problem.

Regarding older systems, they should have supported drivers on Linux, provided that the hardware isn't too old.
So which build did you like the best?
(02-04-2009, 11:32 AM)NiX Wrote: So which build did you like the best?

Hmm, I'd have to say Linux Mint so far. Thanks to Jake for suggesting it a couple of months back. It's a usable analog to Windows from the very start kasi. Since Mint's based on Ubuntu, the latter is pretty much the same, but less set-up from the get-go... mag-iinstall ka pa nung proprietary media codecs, although hindi naman yun ganun kahirap.

Debian's boring. As for Gentoo, don't even try it unless you have a spare computer and a spare week of your life, because those are what you need to even begin to use it. XDDD
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC5uEe5OzNQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC5uEe5OzNQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

watch how vista gets OWNED! XD

The nearer you go towards the light...
The greater your shadow becomes...

[Image: rational.jpg]
[Image: exteel.png]
I gotta say I don't really put much stock into beryl effects. Granted the zoom in/out with scroll ball on mouse and the expose in mac os is pretty nice, but I never found a use for the virtual desktop program I downloaded that turns my desktop into a cube-- nor would I want my windows to shake like rags when I wiggle them.

I really wanna try out Snow Leopard as a mac user, but I'ma have to wait until I upgrade my whole iMac and get a newer version. That's one disadvantage apple consumers have with their laptops and/or all in one designs. You can only upgrade ram and that's it. Any other upgrades have to be done through buying a new computer. Usually tho a good iMac or notebook from apple will last you a good 5-6 years so it evens out. Definitely not for the type of people who must be at the lead of the pack at all times though.

So anyways Snow Leopard uses innovative features like Grand Central for software developers to take advantage of quad cores and Open CL for software developers to take advantage of the computer's graphics chip to further boost performance. I saw a couple of numbers and I was highly impressed. I wonder what type of features microsoft will respond with with 7.

I will say one thing tho Linux as some of the best freeware I've ever seen.
I heard Snow Leopard's been having mixed reception from the market. There are people who appreciate the speed boosts and small changes, but I've been hearing a lot about driver/program incompatibility as well. But then again the complainers could just be a loud minority.

Face, what do you use your Mac for? Something specialized or everyday computing?
Yeah it had some issues with flash and printer drivers. Whenever people upgraded, their Flash was downgraded to version eight point something, so people had to reupgrade.
Apple's already releasing an update to their operating system (10.6.1)

I use a mac because I grew up with them. Not just at school, but my older brother had an old mac from the 90s that I always played games on. I just feel more comfortable in the macintosh gui. Mostly it's for everyday stuff, but I do some multimedia stuff as well (graphic tablet with photoshop, encoding recorded gameplay videos.)