The Raven Republic Forums
Weapon combinations - Printable Version

+- The Raven Republic Forums (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Armored Core (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Forum: Theory and Concept (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Prior Generations (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+---- Thread: Weapon combinations (/showthread.php?tid=2954)

Weapon combinations - HayWire - 03-31-2012

Well, since ACV relies heavily on team play and a lot of us are still new to the game mechanics - I think it's best that we pitch in some weapon combination ideas for our ACs depending on each person's style. Because - in fairness, I have no idea what I'm doing XD

(Please specify if the combo only works on certain builds, styles or ranges)

I've tried RIFLE with BATTLE RIFLE on a BIPED
The damage is pretty steady in mid-range but it takes a while to take down an enemy AC. It's also not very practical on a 1 on 1 match since the bullets are pretty easy to dodge. (They're evadable with a tank AC ಠ_ಠ )

I've also tried GATLING GUN with SHOTGUN on a BIPED
It's pretty lethal in order missions wherein you have to take down 1 or more ACs LOL It's also pretty good in team battles. Main issues are that it's strictly close-range (else you're just spitting at the air) and shotguns generally run out very fast so it's a pretty risky combo

There's also the alternative which is GATLING GUN with RIFLE/BATTLE RIFLE (depending on what kind of damage you're after) on BIPED
It doesn't kill as fast as the previous but it's possible to fight in mid-distance with it.

BATTLE RIFLE with HEAT HOWITZER on BIPED
Mid-range. It could hurt. If it hit. Both shells don't move very fast IMO...

I tried my old HANDGUN with SNIPER RIFLE on BIPED
It doesn't work as well as it did back in LR :< and it's not practical anymore XD;

GATLING GUN with PULSE GUN on BIPED
This hurts A LOT. Main issue is that the pulse gun drains a LOT of energy per shot. My EN was always in the red. Then again, I didn't design my AC to use energy weapons LOL

There's GATLING GUN with LASER BLADE on BIPED/TANK
Blader's/Jouster's bread and jam (because a rifle is the butter) It still works here. It's a wonderful combo for killing those pesky heavy helicopters in invasion missions and such LOL

Then there's DUAL AUTOCANNON on a TANK
I don't know what possessed me to try it. But it's fun LOL like spitting so much lead at the enemy that they can make a new gun LOL I don't use tanks for anything other than order missions though, so I don't know if it's any use aside from killing AI ACs

RE: Weapon combinations - NiX - 03-31-2012

I think you can use whatever weapon you like. Just make sure to scan for enemy weaknesses and engage ones that aren't resistant to your weapons. For example, my heavy is using dual LOTUS battle rifles. But I also bring along a shotgun and a KRSW in case they're needed, though I normally just purge them.

RE: Weapon combinations - J.E_Magog - 03-31-2012

Try your best to cover all damage types. I use 2 rifles for KE, 1 BR for CE and 1 laser rifle for TE. I find missiles a little too heavy to equip.

RE: Weapon combinations - Mjting - 03-31-2012

The game, at the moment, while having it's own share of sorta broken weapons, actually has imho a big selection of viable weapons. The primary reason being the more specific defense types and attack types. Just use what you want.

RE: Weapon combinations - Zefyr - 03-31-2012

I generally go with:

L-Arm - Battle Rifle
R-Arm - Plasma Gun/ Pulse Machine Gun/ Laser Rifle
L-Bay - Gatling Gun
R-Bay - Rifle

This way I generally have an all-around setup for different enemies. I have trouble with fast people who dual-wield BRs though, they hit like trucks and I can't get close enough to use my Close Range weapons, so I'm thinking of switching up my Gatling with either another Rifle and putting a BR in my R-Bay instead.

Also, if you want to give Energy weapons a shot, just slap on the Balanced Generator with 15k+ EN Output and the 110k+ Capacity for Rapid Fire EN weapons or the 17k+ High EN Output Gen for Laser Rifles. The former is a little heavy though, so it's up to you if you want to try it anyway. Actually experimenting is always a viable option anyway XD

I've got a question myself, should I go with Subcomputers instead of the Ammo+ Shoulder Unit? I don't generally run out of ammo anyway, and the Subs might help with locking on to fast moving BR ACs.

RE: Weapon combinations - Hell Heart - 03-31-2012

Personally, I go for KE type weapons. Specifically, rifles, shotguns and Auto guns(Due to flash rockets being cheap and retarded) and Large missles for the lolz.

My current setup is usually a rifle and a plasma gun. Rifles are just for trolling and the plasma gun is actually my killer weapon provided I dont get shot at first and I get in close range there is a trick at using a plasma gun to get a direct hit instead of just hitting them with AOE.

Another combination is KE missles, shotguns and maybe a Laser blade or a Pile driver. Missles and shotguns stagger AC's really well which gives you a chance to punch them in the face or slice them in 2.

RE: Weapon combinations - NiX - 04-01-2012

^Your flash rockets really helped us yesterday morning. We were doing defense, and one guy had them. From practice, we knew exactly what to do against him. LOL

RE: Weapon combinations - Hell Heart - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 02:19 AM)NiX Wrote: ^Your flash rockets really helped us yesterday morning. We were doing defense, and one guy had them. From practice, we knew exactly what to do against him. LOL

Thats good to know Mock battles are doing its worth. Too bad I missed all the fun.. I hope the operation files are still intact.. I wanna see how they moved..XD

RE: Weapon combinations - JVBrothers - 04-01-2012

RIght now I'm practicing dual battle rifles and dual Laser Rifles!

RE: Weapon combinations - atdsutm - 04-01-2012

most of the time, combinations are via dual weapons of the same type.

im more concerned with the entirety of the frame, plus shoulder and bay unit composition that matches the team/map/scenario the AC is taking.

usually it will be a dual KE and a dual CE. or dual of the same weapon

im also thinking about putting jammers and a single wield weapon at the bay unit. i also suggest having at least two AC capable of using at least movement jammers and having FCS that are capable of at least launching 8 jammer pods (5 and 3)

RE: Weapon combinations - HayWire - 04-01-2012

I'm trying out the RJs

I heard they're good for sniping. I don't like sniping XD I do like building hopping and death-from-above tactics.

Tried Gatling gun with sniper rifle...It's super awkward-feeling, IDK why XD;

RE: Weapon combinations - Zefyr - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 12:32 PM)HayWire Wrote: I'm trying out the RJs

I heard they're good for sniping. I don't like sniping XD I do like building hopping and death-from-above tactics.

I think it's one of those things you'd think is a good idea but when you try it out you're just not sure, haha.

I've never tried dual wielding weapon types before. Usually when an AC is weak to both CE and TE I use my Plasma Gun and Battle Rifle instead of switching to both Battle Rifles. Dual wielding Laser Rifles is easier than the faster, close range TE weapons, so if ever I think I'll want to repractice my roots of mid-range combat. I used to hate close range XD

Tanks with the folding weapons are really deadly @_@. I'm trying out a brickwall-build with Auto-Cannons, with BRs as backup.

RE: Weapon combinations - Hell Heart - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 12:32 PM)HayWire Wrote: I'm trying out the RJs

Problem with RJ's is that they are horrible at turning while Airborne..

RE: Weapon combinations - Goat - 04-01-2012

They can easily achieve a 180 turn when jumping though, which is what I think they were built for.

RE: Weapon combinations - HayWire - 04-01-2012

Aside from sniping, does the RJ excel in anything else? Dual gatling gun (or anything that shoots as much bullets) seem to work well with them provided they have enough cover from the surroundings.