The Raven Republic Forums
ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Printable Version

+- The Raven Republic Forums (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Forum: Tech (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread (/showthread.php?tid=2393)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 10-15-2010

It does, apparently. USB Dongles are a no-no, they'll just set you back and will be useless anyway.

I guess you could just sit it out like Nix said, or you could try some of the new wireless modems that are being offered by either Globe, Smart, or Wi-tribe(which isn't even worth the time inquiring about it, someone said).

You should compare and find out what wireless ISP has the best signal in your area/room before trying to apply for one too.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - zero_kanipan - 10-16-2010

the original plan was to sit out, but a situation arose recently where my niece needed to go online for schoolwork. had to do her research at work coz the net at home was being hogged. shouldnt really be my problem but im a kind uncle XD

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - zero_kanipan - 12-22-2010

update:
ok PLDT has confirmed for the second time that the problem is with their lines. do they fix it? no they wont even give a timeframe, no deduction on how much we are charged, general shit service. so yeah, we need to change ISPs. wireless is a no-no since theres a row of condos behind our house and a two story house on our left ~.~
is Sky cable any good? my officemates are saying we should switch to it.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Goat - 12-22-2010

(12-22-2010, 09:19 AM)zero_kanipan Wrote: update:
ok PLDT has confirmed for the second time that the problem is with their lines. do they fix it? no they wont even give a timeframe, no deduction on how much we are charged, general shit service. so yeah, we need to change ISPs. wireless is a no-no since theres a row of condos behind our house and a two story house on our left ~.~
is Sky cable any good? my officemates are saying we should switch to it.

This. My dad wants to change to Sky too, and I think they're currently offering some kind of promo bundle that ranges from cables and tel lines to your own broadband.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - azuriel07 - 12-22-2010

My IP address changed (I think.. but I'm sure they changed my default gateway thingy)

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 12-23-2010

I'm not too sure about Sky - a friend of mine used Sky for over a year, can't even play a local game properly. (bad local connectivity). On the other hand, she says it has its moments if the server you're going on is from overseas.

I'm going to go ahead and say that it's a t-down for Sky.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Goat - 12-27-2010

I am disappoint. Sad

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 12-27-2010

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try it though - it may just be an isolated case, you might want to read more online reviews. Smile

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - clonezero - 12-27-2010

As long as you've got a place with a good place to place the receiver smart bro is a good option (here at province using my tita's com and I got around 190kps when I dled something and its from a 1k plan) And the thing is when I asked here who uses it here she replied "a lot of people including the computer shops"

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 12-27-2010

True, if it's for personal/home use for the casual internet surfer/light gamer, SmartBRO is good for 1k/month.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Goat - 12-29-2010

I've got about 15 minutes left until GT5 is fully updated. If this FAILS again, I'm gonna switch my ISP as soon as I can!

Either way, we'll try out SKY, and disconnect PLDT asap if it fails updating GT5 again. Otherwise, we'll try out SKY and take off PLDT if it's faster.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 12-30-2010

If you do change your ISP, please post about it! Smile

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Fox - 12-31-2010

Somewhat relevant to the topic - NTC caps broadband data volume for ISPs

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Shintetsu - 12-31-2010

Good - meaning that greedy telcos will now have to man up to their (sort of) false ads.
Bad - Torrent go bye-bye, sort of.

RE: ISP Discussion and Q&A thread - Fox - 12-31-2010

In reality, several ISPs here (i won't name names) have a (rather large) cap limit already in place, large enough that it's not really noticeable. It's just that they never really tell anyone about it. Tongue