The Raven Republic Forums
The Redfox sucks thread - Printable Version

+- The Raven Republic Forums (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Forum: Tech (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: The Redfox sucks thread (/showthread.php?tid=1583)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Redfox sucks thread - wanzerfreak - 09-25-2008

or should i get an acer aspire instead?

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - Grim - 09-25-2008

How much is your budget? I took a look at the Redfox system, and it seems that you can get something a lot better for something comparable to their prices, or just a bit over. But, that's over here in Manila. Not so sure about there in Davao.

I take it you're buying this for gaming?

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - wanzerfreak - 09-25-2008

in gensan actually. my budget's 25,000.

yes, gaming mostly Big grin

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - wanzerfreak - 09-26-2008

yo, i've been board hopping around philippine message boards and it looks like there are many complaints about the reliability.

anyway,

here's what my local supplier came up with:

athlon 64 x2 5000
asrock alive nf7g fullHD
1 GB kingmaxx (667)
512 PCI0E NVidia
s93rb Power Logic
160 GB Sata Samsung exceltor
Giant 5000 watts

+mouse, keyboard, speaker, headset

-14,689 Php.

17" CRT
-4,650 Php.

1,000 - table
900- chair

2 year warranty on mother board, processor, LCD, memory, and printer
1 month warranty on optical drives
6 months warranty on keyboard, avr, & speaker

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - NiX - 09-26-2008

Wow that's a lot of PC already for around 20,000. Not bad.

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - Grim - 09-27-2008

The P15,000 base system is pretty good. Which Nvidia card is that though?

And get more RAM. 2GB should be a minimum for a gaming PC, but go for 4GB if the motherboard has the capacity.

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - wanzerfreak - 09-27-2008

@NiX
i'm quite astonished myself. i didn't think i could get something much better than the prebuilt crap that starts around 18,000 to 20,000.

@Grim
i told my guy to verify which nvidia card are they using before i posted the whole thing. i will contact him later this day, hopefully it ain't trash.

i guess i have to go with 2 gigs then? thanks. Big grin

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - Grim - 09-27-2008

(09-27-2008, 05:12 AM)wanzerfreak Wrote: @Grim
i told my guy to verify which nvidia card are they using before i posted the whole thing. i will contact him later this day, hopefully it ain't trash.

i guess i have to go with 2 gigs then? thanks. Big grin

Regardless, 512MB is a lot of memory already, even for the sucky cards. But yes, check to make sure you're getting the middle to higher end stuff.

I just remembered that 32-bit Windows has a problem with seeing all 4GB of memory if you have it. I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case now with Service Pack 3 for XP already out (and get XP... despite my interest in Vista I think I'm gonna skip it and upgrade to Windows 7 instead), but you should bring it up also, just in case you have some money to upgrade in the future.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - wanzerfreak - 09-29-2008

i looked at the 512mb/128 bit video cards available at nearest shop to my office....

ATI Radeon X1650 Pro
Inno3D GeForce 8500GT

are these any good?

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - cabs - 09-29-2008

(09-29-2008, 05:38 PM)wanzerfreak Wrote: i looked at the 512mb/128 bit video cards available at nearest shop to my office....

ATI Radeon X1650 Pro
Inno3D GeForce 8500GT

are these any good?

You'll only reap the benefits of 512mb memory cards if you hook them up on large size displays like 20+" wide screen LCDs or you create 3D graphics animation. On a 17", you wont notice the difference, 256mb is sufficient enough memory for that size.

In not sure about the ati brands but 8600gt would be better suited for gaming which should be close to 8500gt's price range. If you really want to have an excellent gaming experience, 8800gt offers excellent performance (almost the same with the previous generation dual slot monsters) but at a much lower cost.

This site might prove useful. Just try changing the benchmark tests used to better help your judgment on the matter at hand.

Domo Domo Domo

RE: What do i need to know about the Redfox Vengeance before buying it? - wanzerfreak - 09-29-2008

i see...

anyway,

i spotted a Palit GeForce 512mb/128bit 8500GT PCI-E being sold at the local mall. is it any good?

RE: The Redfox sucks thread - Grim - 10-01-2008

(09-29-2008, 10:35 PM)wanzerfreak Wrote: i spotted a Palit GeForce 512mb/128bit 8500GT PCI-E being sold at the local mall. is it any good?

Looks like it. Palit is a known partner of NVidia, so while NVidia's name isn't there I think it's still the same product.

RE: The Redfox sucks thread - Shintetsu - 10-02-2008

(09-26-2008, 11:24 PM)wanzerfreak Wrote: athlon 64 x2 5000
asrock alive nf7g fullHD
1 GB kingmaxx (667)
512 PCI0E NVidia
s93rb Power Logic
160 GB Sata Samsung exceltor
Giant 5000 watts
-14,689 Php.

17" CRT
-4,650 Php.

1,000 - table
900- chair

You won't get much on an athlon, even if it's a bit higher than what this NetCafe has. I humbly recommend getting an Intel Core2Duo processor with average capacity, or a Quad Core part if you can spend the extra bucks.
TRUST ME PARE, YOU'LL REGRET GETTING AN ATHLON. I only stick here becaus I know which PC boots up quickly, and I pretty much own the whole connection most of the time. (By quickly, refer to Mother Nature for the speed, if you know what I mean)

*ehem.*On to the Mobo, I presume that it already has some video card in it, correct me if I'm wrong. If otherwise, then you'd better get another board, you'd be wasting money on a board with an inboard video card. If I may, I'd recommend a board in Abit's Fatal1ty series, it's kinda old but it performs very well, especially for overclocking, considering its cheap tag.

On to RAM(and video), get something branded, at least 1g of RAM will do. However, if you're gonna play next-gen games on your gaming rig, It'd be better (and cheaper, performance-wise) if you go for 2 gigs of RAM, or 4 if you can spare extra. With this, you also must have at least an 8800gt if you want your PC to work comfortably with most, if not all, next-gen games for the next year or so.

Power logic=Power supply, or is that an AVR? On to the PSU. 500w is good, you might have to go for better quality though, if you play long hours. Giant 5000? I suppose that's a CPU case. If not, that's too much power for a PSU, srsly. LOL

Lastly, a modest 17" LCD monitor with 1280x1024 natural resoultion would work best, it's a balance of size, viewing pleasure, and price. If you prefer CRT though (which is cheaper and has a slightly better display of colors, and the bulk), then that's up to you.

Please get a sturdy table for that, you won't want to break your stuff, dont'ya.

Is all. Troll proud. Pirate

RE: The Redfox sucks thread - cabs - 10-02-2008

(10-02-2008, 04:32 PM)Shintetsu Wrote: You won't get much on an athlon, even if it's a bit higher than what this NetCafe has. I humbly recommend getting an Intel processor with average capacity, or a Quad Core part if you can spend the extra bucks.
TRUST ME PARE, YOU'LL REGRET GETTING AN ATHLON.

Don't bother getting a quad core, a higher clocked core2 performs better and way cheaper too. But if you want multicore processors, try waiting for the i7 cores being developed by intel. They said that it is capable of self overclocking by shutting down unused cores and redirecting more power to the ones being used.

Oh yeah, go for intel procs rather than amd athlons. Big grin

And about the memory, try making it a 1Gb dual channel set-up (2 x 1GB). Check first if the motherboard supports it though.

Domo Domo Domo

RE: The Redfox sucks thread - Shintetsu - 10-02-2008

Didn't know that yet, I've yet to see a Quad's pros and cons.

Got reference? Thanks for the info.