The Raven Republic Forums
Introductions: The Original Thread - Printable Version

+- The Raven Republic Forums (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Forum: Assembly (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Forum: Introductions (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: Introductions: The Original Thread (/showthread.php?tid=1380)

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - zero_kanipan - 03-20-2013

i used to post on a board (Megatokyo Forums) where they have the opposite tradition. posting introductory threads there was a big no-no. theirs was more of a lurk-and-learn mindset. that's the only board i know that went that route tho. most boards i've been on require an intro thread. as such, i would like to raise my hand and +1 for mandatory intros. helps us know more about the new people, and maybe help pick out bots or unsavory types who can't be bothered to be polite.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Fox - 03-20-2013

(03-20-2013, 06:50 PM)zero_kanipan Wrote: i used to post on a board (Megatokyo Forums) where they have the opposite tradition. posting introductory threads there was a big no-no. theirs was more of a lurk-and-learn mindset. that's the only board i know that went that route tho. most boards i've been on require an intro thread. as such, i would like to raise my hand and +1 for mandatory intros. helps us know more about the new people, and maybe help pick out bots or unsavory types who can't be bothered to be polite.

What he said.

I give my vote to the "Yes for mandatory intros" party. I've been with this forum long enough to remember a time when each new member posted a little snippet about themselves. From that little post, i could gauge whether or not this person would get along well with the rest of the group.

It doesn't matter whether it's just a simple post or an entire thread. In real life, you introduce yourself when meeting people for the first time. I feel that should be the same here since it reflects your offline personality. If you can't be bothered to extend that one simple courtesy but still expect to be treated as an equal here, then get lost.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Serene - 03-21-2013

Either way is fine with me.

My point was: There are times when one must give way to prevent conflict.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Berserker Lonewolf - 03-21-2013

Because I feel partially responsible for the Introductions thread being derailed by a debate, I'm going to take the time to make one final post before continuing to make more productive ones in other threads to let you get to know me and perhaps those that have ever been in my position.

Almost all web forums, as we are all aware, have either a thread or a sub forum dedicated to newbies introducing themselves. And as far back as I care to remember from past experiences with other forums, I can't remember any that went past that brief snippet of "Hey guys, I'm new! I'm so excited to be here." Every post after those always revealed more of the kind of person that they were. Now of course there are those who pour their life story into the first thing they post. Good for them. Not everyone, however, feels comfortable in the spotlight.

Now to be fair, I agree that an introductory post is a nice gesture. But to demand one be held on cyberspace to the standards of a physical one-on-one introduction and then some is not only the opposite of what internet etiquette should be, but it's undeservingly invasive. The prove-yourself-or-get-out mentality in the guise of online manners only further cements just how shallow and elitist a person can come off even though they're not meaning to. Proving yourself to be an equal shouldn't even be a factor. If you truly hold an online introduction to that real-life level, then nothing is stopping you from dropping your usernames and posting under your real ones instead. But I'm getting off track here. I promised you'd get to know me...

When I signed up the first thing I did was try to post an introduction. But from some snafu, which I'm sure was due to my own stupidity, I accidentally saved it as a draft as opposed to actually posting it for everyone to see. I never noticed so I just continued on posting. I even responded to the automated PM we all get on signing up in regards to it's questions. Answers which I never included in my original post. Why? Because it said it was a survey, and last I checked surveys were confidential. But in time I would have shared it with all of you regardless. In fact, if you've noticed my other posts, most of them are answers to questions posed by the OP of whatever thread they posted to get to know those interested. I even posted a thread asking a question myself to interact with everyone further, as well.

With every post I make, I give all of you another little piece of me and an opportunity to learn more about me because in the end, that's where you're going to get most of your information from anyway. I have no intentions of bringing down the mood of the forums with bad behavior and you shouldn't have to fear it. My future posts will speak for themselves on that. I can definitely see all of you value respect here. That's good. I hope my post has deepened that meaning for you. And I am optimistic we'll benefit from clearing the air on this and get know each other real well from here on out. And because I'm a team player, if you choose to click on my username you will find I have a much more detailed analysis of who I am on it plus a Facebook link for those with one.

So in conclusion, I have a good feeling I'm going to like it here and I respect all of your opinions in regards to this debate. All I ask is you don't judge my character based on something that most people type two sentences about and on average about three people respond to in greetings anyway.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Skreija - 03-21-2013

I agree with the 2 gentlemen who are speaking up for making introductions mandatory. I feel the same way as they do. I too raise my hand for it.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Sirius140 - 03-21-2013

So thats 3 for mandatory introductions. Actually make it 4, I'm also for it as well.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Fox - 03-21-2013

(03-21-2013, 11:48 AM)Berserker Lonewolf Wrote: Because I feel partially responsible for the Introductions thread being derailed by a debate, I'm going to take the time to make one final post before continuing to make more productive ones in other threads to let you get to know me and perhaps those that have ever been in my position.

Almost all web forums, as we are all aware, have either a thread or a sub forum dedicated to newbies introducing themselves. And as far back as I care to remember from past experiences with other forums, I can't remember any that went past that brief snippet of "Hey guys, I'm new! I'm so excited to be here." Every post after those always revealed more of the kind of person that they were. Now of course there are those who pour their life story into the first thing they post. Good for them. Not everyone, however, feels comfortable in the spotlight.

Now to be fair, I agree that an introductory post is a nice gesture. But to demand one be held on cyberspace to the standards of a physical one-on-one introduction and then some is not only the opposite of what internet etiquette should be, but it's undeservingly invasive. The prove-yourself-or-get-out mentality in the guise of online manners only further cements just how shallow and elitist a person can come off even though they're not meaning to. Proving yourself to be an equal shouldn't even be a factor. If you truly hold an online introduction to that real-life level, then nothing is stopping you from dropping your usernames and posting under your real ones instead. But I'm getting off track here. I promised you'd get to know me...

When I signed up the first thing I did was try to post an introduction. But from some snafu, which I'm sure was due to my own stupidity, I accidentally saved it as a draft as opposed to actually posting it for everyone to see. I never noticed so I just continued on posting. I even responded to the automated PM we all get on signing up in regards to it's questions. Answers which I never included in my original post. Why? Because it said it was a survey, and last I checked surveys were confidential. But in time I would have shared it with all of you regardless. In fact, if you've noticed my other posts, most of them are answers to questions posed by the OP of whatever thread they posted to get to know those interested. I even posted a thread asking a question myself to interact with everyone further, as well.

With every post I make, I give all of you another little piece of me and an opportunity to learn more about me because in the end, that's where you're going to get most of your information from anyway. I have no intentions of bringing down the mood of the forums with bad behavior and you shouldn't have to fear it. My future posts will speak for themselves on that. I can definitely see all of you value respect here. That's good. I hope my post has deepened that meaning for you. And I am optimistic we'll benefit from clearing the air on this and get know each other real well from here on out. And because I'm a team player, if you choose to click on my username you will find I have a much more detailed analysis of who I am on it plus a Facebook link for those with one.

So in conclusion, I have a good feeling I'm going to like it here and I respect all of your opinions in regards to this debate. All I ask is you don't judge my character based on something that most people type two sentences about and on average about three people respond to in greetings anyway.

That was refreshingly direct. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Serene - 03-21-2013

Personally, I found Sirius' not introducing himself before amusingly ironic. He's still here unlike the lot who introduced themselves once and moved elsewhere and those who posted only to ask for favors without even bothering to say hi.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Grim - 03-21-2013

Then the people have spoken. I already have an idea of how to implement this, will be rolling out the change this weekend. Smile

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - zero_kanipan - 03-21-2013

@Beserker Lonewolf
nice points. however, i am a bit confused. are you saying that there is a difference between online people and RL people o.O?

imo, people are people regardless of the way we meet or communicate with them. while the internet gives us the freedom to connect with people all across the globe, it does not free us from the responsibility of behaving properly when dealing with them. nor does it make such connections less real or important. as such, courtesy and respect needs to be maintained. hence my vote for mandatory intros. the latter need not be long or wordy, or strive to impress the other members (although the newcomer has the right to do so if he/she wishes.) the main purpose of the intro is to be courteous to the other people behind their usernames and avatars.

hello everyone o/ you can call me zero. i like boobies Wub XD

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Hell Heart - 03-21-2013

@ZK

Some actually act differently online and in real life. Just speaking from personal experience. It takes a lot of will and sense of self to express how yourself is both online and in real life IMO.

Note: Heh. Usual OT.. Big grin

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Skreija - 03-21-2013

@Berserker

I only noticed your response now. That is a very brave post and I do understand your point. However, I sure hope you also understand that some feathers will be inadvertently ruffled by that.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Top Notch Pilot - 10-28-2013

TNP reporting for duty.

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - Remleon - 12-02-2013

AC:VD IGN: Remleon
Preferred ACs: Any build that gets the job done
Preferred Weapons: Rifles, Battle Rifles
Hobbies: Building Gundam Model kits, Playing Videogames, Watching Anime

"See you in the game Smile"

RE: Introductions: The Original Thread - S_Black-420 - 12-05-2013

hellow all i am S_Black-420 nice to meet u all