The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Audiophilia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(08-12-2012, 02:12 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2012, 12:59 AM)zero_kanipan Wrote: [ -> ]downloaded and ASIO driver for winXP and the plugin for Foobar and WMP. for WMP i've encountered no issues when playing files. however, on Foobar some songs now have some crackling/dust and scratches kind of interference. im guessing this has something to do with the buffers. but which one?

I think foobar has a buffer size option in the output options menu. Just make it bigger.
Personally I like using winamp as my secondary player. It has a good asio plugin.

Oh you could try using WASAPI (like ASIO) too, but your hardware has to support it

okies thanks. i'll try playing around with the buffers.

much as i like winamp, it crashes often since i last re-formatted the laptop. too lazy to try and fix it XD

i'll check WASAPI when i get a DAC.

critical question: should i actually get a DAC first? i havent decided on what pair of headphones to have as my home unit. since the DAC and AMP are there to get the best signal to the headphones, i was thinking, shouldn't i get a pair of cans first? so i can pick the right DAC and AMP for the job.

also the weaboo in me would like to ask if anyone has tried Mio's headphones (AKG K701). how good are they?
(08-13-2012, 09:52 AM)zero_kanipan Wrote: [ -> ]critical question: should i actually get a DAC first? i havent decided on what pair of headphones to have as my home unit. since the DAC and AMP are there to get the best signal to the headphones, i was thinking, shouldn't i get a pair of cans first? so i can pick the right DAC and AMP for the job.

also the weaboo in me would like to ask if anyone has tried Mio's headphones (AKG K701). how good are they?

Headphones: Yes you should get headphones first, and then a DAC. For digital sources I think the DAC might be even more important than a good amp. Speaking of headphones, I'm selling stuff! Presyong RR! LOL

HD598: 6k, Ultrasone Pro 2900 12k, Grado PS500 19k

There's a Fiio E10 a friend is selling for 2k right now if you're interested. It's a good DAC. Another one to consider is the JDS Labs ODAC/O2 combo.

K701: They're okay, I owned a pair before. They're a neutral reference headphone for studio use, the sound isn't very catchy or fun. It's sterile, cold, analytical. Undesirable bump in the upper mids. Wide soundstage though. Mio probably uses them for mixing and mastering her band's recordings LOL The Q701 is better tuned IMHO.
(08-13-2012, 10:26 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of headphones, I'm selling stuff! Presyong RR! LOL

HD598: 6k

Can you post a picture of these cans? Drool
(08-13-2012, 12:28 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2012, 10:26 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of headphones, I'm selling stuff! Presyong RR! LOL

Comes with box and converter plug Smile Cable is detachable.

[Image: IMG_0800.jpg]
Thanks Jake. Tempted. Very tempted. Tongue
HUFF HUFF me too. Of course, I've yet to get an amp first. -_-
The HD598 is actually a great choice for someone who wants quality sound to last a really long time without going too much into the headphone hobby. It does a lot of things right -- it's closer to tonally neutral than a LOT of other more expensive headphones, it has a wide soundstage and a slight bass bump which makes it good for gaming, it's super comfortable, and the cable is detachable. The sound signature is also a bit warm in the mids, and it's not fatiguing to listen to. It also doesn't need an amp to be driven properly, but an amp would still help.

I'm only selling it because my headphone/IEM stable is up to 20 if I include the Beats and ibuds (and who the F keeps 20 headphones at once right?!)

Two guys on headphiles are just waiting to get paid at the end of the month so they can buy it, so I'd buy it quickly if you're interested Smile The local price is 13k mind you.

(08-13-2012, 12:28 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]...

I found the D1001 box I should have given to you a looong time ago. Remind me to hand it over the next time we meet D:
I have one of those and I certainly love it! I highly recommend you guys get it first! 6K is a bargain believe me =)
(08-13-2012, 03:47 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2012, 12:28 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]

Comes with box and converter plug Smile Cable is detachable.

[Image: IMG_0800.jpg]

if UCPB gets their network up again and i can withdraw funds, i can pick this up tomorrow or tonight XD
Just an fyi, item was reserved on headphiles
checked out Egghead at Robinson Galleria today and found they had an AKG K701 out for testing. tested it and found the soundstage way too big, and the sound too..i dunno..flat. pretty sensitive and precise tho, just didnt have oomph. parang malupit na ice tea na sobrang sarap pero walang amats. anyway, they had other models out, most of which were too bright for my taste, save for the K540. the latter tho seems lacking in bass, and electronic songs weren't as crisp as they should be.
(08-21-2012, 05:26 PM)zero_kanipan Wrote: [ -> ]parang malupit na ice tea na sobrang sarap pero walang amats.

Never heard of headphones being described like this. Oddly enough, I can imagine and understand what you mean. LOL
(08-21-2012, 05:26 PM)zero_kanipan Wrote: [ -> ]checked out Egghead at Robinson Galleria today and found they had an AKG K701 out for testing. tested it and found the soundstage way too big, and the sound too..i dunno..flat. pretty sensitive and precise tho, just didnt have oomph. parang malupit na ice tea na sobrang sarap pero walang amats. anyway, they had other models out, most of which were too bright for my taste, save for the K540. the latter tho seems lacking in bass, and electronic songs weren't as crisp as they should be.

I'm glad you noticed. A bunch of new headphone releases by the large manufacturers have built in treble peaks which sound piercing and painful at times. They did this because they're trying to fool consumers into thinking "moar treble = better clarity!" when that's not the case at all. Grado is guilty of it as well, but AKG is really pushing the limit of what's acceptable and frankly as a consumer, I find it quite insulting. Sennheiser is also guilty of producing utter shit like the new $1k HD700 which you might have seen at Egghead.
aw.. the HD700 was shit? I was gonna buy one for my birthday. :-(
(08-21-2012, 11:26 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2012, 05:26 PM)zero_kanipan Wrote: [ -> ]checked out Egghead at Robinson Galleria today and found they had an AKG K701 out for testing. tested it and found the soundstage way too big, and the sound too..i dunno..flat. pretty sensitive and precise tho, just didnt have oomph. parang malupit na ice tea na sobrang sarap pero walang amats. anyway, they had other models out, most of which were too bright for my taste, save for the K540. the latter tho seems lacking in bass, and electronic songs weren't as crisp as they should be.

I'm glad you noticed. A bunch of new headphone releases by the large manufacturers have built in treble peaks which sound piercing and painful at times. They did this because they're trying to fool consumers into thinking "moar treble = better clarity!" when that's not the case at all. Grado is guilty of it as well, but AKG is really pushing the limit of what's acceptable and frankly as a consumer, I find it quite insulting. Sennheiser is also guilty of producing utter shit like the new $1k HD700 which you might have seen at Egghead.

i didn't test the Sennheiser cans they had out (save for the HD598) since most of them i've tried out at The Listening Room before. but yeah, some of the AKG models had the treble up to the point of it being physically painful to listen too (for me at least). reminds me of the speaker setups in some jeepneys XD.

they also had Superlux cans out dangling on what seemed to be a clothes rack. didn't try them out as i didn't know what to expect from them. reading up on them now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17