The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Laptop Halp!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Although i already told my parents that i am gonna use my ps3 as a computer there in Vancouver, they really insist on me getting a laptop. I already told them being the kuripot person that i am *when it comes to things that can multi-task* that a laptop isn't necessary since the school i'm in is 90% hands on and i'm sure they will only ask us to write a report or something which OpenOffice in Linux *which i installed on my ps3* can do.

However, i feel like Gii...this fat fuck bat who can barely fly is tempting me to accept the very kind offer of my parents.
[Image: BlazBlue__Gii_Tribute_by_BalthierBu.jpg]

Thing is, i want to play Starcraft II and Diablo III...i might not even "buy" the games. Yes.... "buy"...
so on with the topic, i need help, i never had a laptop before and i'm not really into upgrading my desktop, i usually base my upgrade on the games that i want to play and last game that i really wanted to play smooth on my desktop was Warcraft III....yes it's that old. So now, i am looking for a laptop that could run Starcraft II and Diablo III relatively smooth, problem is those games aren't out yet which adds to my confuzzzion regarding my decision on what laptop to get.

Any advice i would gladly listen to it. I am looking @ laptops in best buy Canada/Vancouver at the moment.
Personal opinion:
Don't get a gaming-class laptop. And don't go thinking about "upgrading" it once you get one (unless you seriously know what you're doing).
- Desktop and Laptop gaming feel real different, the screen and sound quality for one thing is almost immediately felt if you're used to units that are made to handle the heavier games.
- Compact units are prone to having cooling problems. 'nuff said. I burned my laptop's motherboard with F.E.A.R. to learn that lesson.
- Laptops are ideal for media viewing and lighter games (Warcraft and the like, as well as older console emulation) if anything. And imo having a laptop can still be handy, as you can prolly research or do any suddenly needed browsing as long as you have an access point.

Anyway, if you insist...

I would reccomend an effing huge HDD, HUGE RAM, and for gaming purposes, a dual video card. But please be merciful to your laptop and buy it a cooling pad if you intend to use it for stuff like that.

These days the benchmark specs float at around...
Quad Core Processor - at least 2.6 GHz (Or Corei7, I heard it was really good)
160+ GB HDD
At least 4 GB RAM DDR3
512 MB ~ 1 GB Vid Card (most games run pretty well on a the GeForce 9800 series)

Fair example: Sony VAIO NW180J/S

If you don't like thinking about it and price isn't an object: Alienware, Area 51 models I heard were considerably cheaper.
Hahaha budget's also a big issue. What Aruren's giving you is more in the middle-high tier of laptops already and they'll cost you quite a bit.

Be totally sure about what you want to do with a laptop because that'll determine what's right for you. If it's just for reports and browsing, like you said, just buy a 12" netbook with Linux (since you're used to it). It'll be totally cheap. But if you're dead set on playing newer games on it, then prepare to unload the cash.

Decide on what OS to get too. Vista's all over the place, but Windows 7 is right around the corner. You may want to wait a bit for that. Heck, you might even like (gasp!) Mac. I hear the Macbooks are some of the best laptops right now. And they can still run Windows, whereas Windows machines can't run Mac. (I'm sticking with XP for quite a while though!)
EDIT: For good measure. Forgot about the OS too. Stick with a 32-bit OS for now, as I've seen lots of compatibility issues with 64-bit. Also, DON'T GET VISTA. Headaches will ensue. kthx.

Laptops are hard to work with if you're a gamer. If you're into getting it just for the sake of being able to play those games anywhere, just go with a packaged setup with good ventilation, (all the technical stuff above), add your own cooling pad, and make sure you pick one that has at least 4 USB slots and Firewire, because you'd really prefer to have an external DVD-R/W so the heat doesn't get to your lappy easily.

IMO, finding a good lappy is hard. 'Cause you can't really pick the parts that you want. You'll have to hunt for the best deal with the most flexibility and features.

Power management is also an issue. You can't go dual VGA/full processor power on a weak battery, y'know. LOL

I heard that the Core i7 series has lower power consumption and higher processing power than the top-tier Quads, but beware, you might have compatibility issues. Also, if you're getting the Core i7, the board itself, and probably all other parts, might be the new to the market. Pricey goes without saying.

Maybe you should stick with a desktop for heavy, next-gen games. Otherwise, ditto.
I must agree wth NiX's and Shintetsu's posts.

- Laptops are portable notepads that can browse the internet and require a power supply. Note that voltages normally vary per country/continent. Unless you really have money to burn, keep it that way.
- I'd also like to point out that a laptop that isn't plugged to a powersource won't ever be able to match one that is.
- I also support the idea of getting a bad-arse Desktop for all the heavy work and a rather cheap laptop for like little powerpoints and portable RR checking.
I bet Hemp's really confused now. LOL
thank you nix, shin and Aruren for the advice *slaps Gii* ok i won't get a gaming laptop. This sorts out a lot of concerns regarding what laptop to get. Thanks again.
Goodbye Diablo III and Starcraft II i will just watch on the sidelines. I may get a desktop in the future when i earn money on my own...or maybe a dog or cat instead and some good herbs....hmmmm...simple things =D

I'm no longer confuzzed now, i weighed the cost, the possible frustration and also the gaming experience. I'll just stick to PS3 and PSP. =D
First off, here. While it's just an estimate at this point, people deem the estimate to be reasonably close.

I shared the same goals as you Hemp when I bought a second-hand laptop a couple of weeks ago. Although my unit is a bit more dated, that suits me fine as the PC games I want to play are a bit older than yours (like Jagged Alliance, SimCity, etc etc). Even then, this can handle recent games like X3 pretty well, because it was pretty powered for it's time (which was only about a year ago, hahaha). But while I was looking at the specs, I also took into consideration the unit's size. Keep in mind that you'll probably be bringing this around with you one day, and you don't want to be lugging something really heavy. So get a unit which you'll feel comfy with to carry around with you. I think 14-15" is the biggest one should go.

Anyway, I think the i7 and quad-cores, while great, are a bit too overpowering for even SC2 and D3, not to mention expensive. You should be able to find a decent laptop with a 2.3Ghz and up Core 2 Duo processor that can run these. The real component you'll want to focus on is the video card, which will also probably be the biggest source of heat (as Aruren and Shin have pointed out). Next to that, RAM. Most new laptops go with 3GB these days, which might also be easily upgradeable if you're so inclined to get 4GB.

OS-wise, I don't think there'll be problems running SC2 or D3 on Windows 7, even though they'll most likely be labelled as compatible with Vista.

Of course, Nix presents an intriguing path with the Macs. I eventually want to try them one day, myself. They've got good dual core processors and decent cards these days.

In short:
(08-24-2009, 09:49 PM)Aruren Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get a gaming-class laptop.
(except you should get a gaming-class video card).

EDIT: Damn my post came too late. LOLLOLLOL
late but it's tempting me again.... *slaps Gii again* seriously though, i'll get a laptop that's windows 7 since i am sure Visa is already fucked over with as Shin pointed out. Thanks for the advice on the focus on video card, i'll definitely keep that in mind as i wanna try X3 also..."herbs and space maaaaaan". I haven't played any PC game for a loooooooooooong time, last game i played on my desktop was with Shin, and it was DOTA lol.
Oh did we? I vaguely remember that LOL
Most people here buy electronics in Future Shop, not Best Buy. Generally they're around the same price and have more options. But if you want something really cheap but with decent specs, go to Walmart.

Anyway, why not wait until the games you want to play actually come out before buying a laptop? The i7 laptops aren't even out yet. I plan to buy a new laptop when Diablo 3 comes out LOL

I'm fine here with my psp, nds and netbook w/ an external dvd burner.
(08-25-2009, 02:09 AM)Shintetsu Wrote: [ -> ]Oh did we? I vaguely remember that LOL

yep i used yurnero back then, we played in GG. and there were leavers, we were pissed. i also told you bout the pldt server that is more stable online and bans people if they reported *with saved replay* for leaving.
(08-25-2009, 08:44 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Most people here buy electronics in Future Shop, not Best Buy. Generally they're around the same price and have more options. But if you want something really cheap but with decent specs, go to Walmart.

Anyway, why not wait until the games you want to play actually come out before buying a laptop? The i7 laptops aren't even out yet. I plan to buy a new laptop when Diablo 3 comes out LOL

I'm fine here with my psp, nds and netbook w/ an external dvd burner.
Hmmmmm..... Gii is floating again....i haven't considered the waiting option. I wonder when D3 comes out. 2010? (O____o). Cge i'll check in Future shop and Wallmart.

EDIT: Just did a quick google and realized that D3 would come out late 2010 or most likely 2011. uhhhh Blizzard as usual. i don't think i'll wait.
Definitely just wait. There's so much to wait for. Mainstream utilization of Core i7, success or failure of Windows 7, Mac Snow Leopard, further netbook evolution, actual release of SC2 and D3, etc etc.
Oh. Well, if waiting is an option. Definitely wait. NiX has already pointed out many developments that you should know about when considering buying a new piece of technology. And if you ask me there are only 2 instances when you should seriously think about buying one.

1. When you need it.
2. When you seriously want it.

This is because the tech industry works such that there is very likely a new, promising, bad-arse model lurking around the corner every few months.

I believe Blizzard isn't the kind of company that'll make games that need the latest/best hardware to run. If your real benchmark is SCII and D3 try to wait 'till sometime next year (when they're supposed to be out already) or at least know their minimum sys requirements, then make your unit like 20~30% above those requirements (ie: one kick higher than the minimum sys requirements). From my experiences with my laptop, certain games still feel like crap even if you meet the requirements, you even risk overheating.

imo you'd probably want the following out of your machine:
A. Does what you want/need it to.
B. Reliable. (Doesn't crash easily while you're doing what you want it to be doing)
C. Lasts. (Because if you spend 1k USD on a unit and it breaks down in less than a year you tend to lose hair faster.)

And to achieve these, you'd want to get a unit that doesn't have to push its limits for item A. Wiiiith a cooling pad, can't stress that enough. XD;

EDIT:

Okay, I missed the part about you maybe not waiting. Seriously though, if you'll just buy a new unit later on for the games buy a desktop for it and save yourself the headaches. Laptops are still handy if you ask me though, get one that will accomplish the tasks you KNOW you'll use it for (sans the games you want to play). And if you ask me, having extra ram is always handy. Laptops have a lot more sub-processes compared to desktops, so a laptop will be noticeably slower than a desktop that runs on the same specs.
I forgot to say something earlier; if you buy electronics from future shop they offer 2 or 3 year insurance on your item (even the made in china shit) for a fixed price. Meaning if it breaks down, you get a replacement (or store credit, which is even better sometimes). Shops in Manila really should offer something similar, but then places like cd-r king will probably go out of business doing that -_-

ALSO. A lot of new laptops now that come with Vista offer full and FREE upgrades to Windows 7 upon official release LOL