The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: The Best Gaming Laptops on TPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been looking to buy a new laptop to replace my 6 year old one. Right now I think its the XPS M1530, if the price is considered. Can you guys suggest anything else? I really need one. So much so that I'm willing to put up with Vista -_- It needs to be available locally though, so suggestions ought to be based on local sites like TPC (tipidpc.com). Preferably something with a Penryn type core-2 processor.

Oh, and randomly, the HP520 is a very good laptop for testing new linux distributions. The specs are decent and it doesn't come with an OS.
I am astounded by the extremely enthusiastic response to this thread Big grin

Anyway, I don't think I'll be buying one anymore. I'll buy one to coincide with the release of Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 instead, which will take a while.
once starcraft 2 comes out lets fight!!!!!
Sforza Wrote:I am astounded by the extremely enthusiastic response to this thread Big grin

Haha sorry, but I'm not an expert in PC hardware. You should get Nix to notice this thread.

The Dell XPS laptops have a pretty good track-record, that's all I know.
I'd have replied if I logged in yesterday?

I have a good reason for you not to buy one! The Geforce 8600M GT on the M1530 can't run Crysis well on high settings under Vista + DX10.

I suggest waiting until next year for the Nehalem processors to come out, because they have a significant structural improvement over the Penryns. Of course, the Penryns are just smaller versions of the Meroms. The Nehalim Auburndale variant will have 30% or so less power consumption than the Penryn without sacrificing performance. As usual, the low end Clarksfield type will give you the option of integrated graphics.

Just ask if there's something you didn't quite get.

BTW. If you want a high end gaming laptop, go for Alienware or Gateway. From our earlier conversation, I can tell that there aren't many quality laptops to choose from over there.
Hey RR.

I've been thinking of which laptop to buy for myself. Something that will be able to handle Diablo 3 well (by current standards, and by estimation of the game's requirements), but will still be able to hold its own on other tasks like media, games and graphics programming... and uh... Microsoft Office haha.

Granted if it can handle D3 then I'm guessing it can handle anything else. Note that I'm a function over form kind of guy (I think highly of the "ugly" Lenovo Thinkpads), so I wouldn't mind something too blocky-looking. I just hope it's not pink or yellow or green or red. Blue I can handle.

Also, while it's OK with me to carry a laptop around, hopefully it's not too heavy. My price range is around P80,000 - I'm going to buy this in the near future so I still have time to save up.

Any suggestments?
OK, so for those still interested in making a purchase: I just spotted a Dell dealership. They have the M1330s and M1530s of the XPS line.

The M1530 sells for about P90,000. The M1330, for around P78,00. A bit more expensive, but you won't have to wait for shipping.

What might be problematic for some: it's in SM City MARIKINA.

EDIT: Which to choose. Dilemma of the ages.

EDIT 2: OK OK OK. I've made up my mind. I'm going for Gateway's P-7811 instead. Can't beat that price for those specs!
I checked on TPC, the only listing would set you back 130k.

I'd probably follow what Apple said and wait until the new batch of processors come out next year. That 30% less power consumption is good enough reason already.
Sforza Wrote:I checked on TPC, the only listing would set you back 130k.

I'd probably follow what Apple said and wait until the new batch of processors come out next year. That 30% less power consumption is good enough reason already.

I'm planning to have it bought from the States, which means it'll cost just around as much as it's listed there. I saw that listing too lol. Too expensive, no wonder no one's tried negotiating.

As for next year... in all probability, I most likely will end up making the purchase then. But the problem is, by then the new processors would still be too expensive, at least for me. I'm doing this more as a way of setting a target. I just hope they still make the damn model at the end of this year/early next year, because it is niiice.