The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting tech news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
A single word can change the whole meaning of a document. Pretty cool stuff from science.

Quote:Draft of Declaration of Independence named subjects, not citizens

Hyperspectral images of a draft of the Declaration of Independence reveal that it originally used the word 'subjects' instead of 'citizens' at a critical juncture. After writing "our fellow subjects," author Thomas Jefferson scrubbed it out and replaced it with the familiar alternative.

To the Library of Congress, whose Preservation Research and Testing Division analyzed the document with the latest high-resolution camera equipment, it illustrates an important moment: "when [Jefferson] reconsidered his choice of words and articulated the recognition that the people of the fledgling United States of America were no longer subjects of any nation, but citizens of an emerging democracy."
was written on hemp paper....
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8agz9FcDcPk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8agz9FcDcPk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LOL!!! Shitbrowser seems to be working,
Watch up to the end. LOLsosurprised, hyperspace looked like a shroom trip tunnel.....
Firefox 4 BETA out now!

Check it out here Domo
Hayao Miyazaki Compares iPad Use To Masturbation
http://kotaku.com/5584759/hayao-miyazaki...sturbation

Quote:For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever," Miyazaki said about the iPad. "It's disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying."

Miyazaki also noted that he also got "fed up" when everyone on the trains started reading manga and then later when everyone began using cell phones on the trains to presumably send text messages.

While I can understand his gripe about people becoming too dependent on technology, I still can't fully agree with his dissing. He may not like tech, but the reality is that it's also because of such tech that and that so many more people around the world have access to his works. It would be epic irony if he was griping about iPads, only to find out one of the passengers he was so condescending about was watching his films on the train Smile

Then there is the fact that his own Studio Ghibli makes extensive use of computers and apps to make their films, not to mention that upcoming DS/PS3 title they have in works. In short, I think it really depends on the user, though it does annoy the living hell out of me when people don't turn off their cell phones when we're having a serious conversation, or when I'm watching in the theater.
Quote: “It may seem like I am ignoring your human rights to say this, but you can’t research any of that. Why? Because you have no way of knowing what it’s like to be on an old trireme, or having empathy with the men on board, covered in sweat as they labour at their oars.

You go out into the world without enriching your imagination. You are merely grasping the iWhatever as a skimming tool you use to stroke yourself.

I’m sure there are many people who want to become omnipotent by getting their hands on this iWhatever. I’ll tell you sir, there were once a bunch of people who wore radio cassette players (those bulky things) wherever they went in the sixties. They wore it like a priceless emblem.

They’re mostly probably living off of pension funds now, but you and them are the same. You jump at the newest gadgets, and all you do is relish the pride in owning one as some consumer.

You must not become a consumer. You must become someone that creates.”

What he said is admirable, in my opinion. Sure, his work is also consumable media. But his work, unlike a lot of other things, encourages and even celebrates creativity and imagination. But yes, there's something awfully contradictory about his statement. Even creators need to consume.
we are caught in a spiral of consumerism that will go on forever, or until we destroy ourselves, or get destroyed by cosmic LOLevent. Thing is, we have no choice but to move forward and think of solutions as problems arise.....on the fly, maybe high, maybe not. =D

\(-___________-)
ok, i haven't owned any "ZOMG ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY" like the I- thingies but i might consider buying one generation after that. PLEASE MAKE IPAD/RIPOFF that you can play RTS *insert future warcraft series* on the go.....that would be so (o___O)
Recently, a Federal judge ruled that it's now OK to break DRM for fair and legal use. Translation: once you've bought it, you're free to do with it whatever you wish, as long as it does not include making a profit. This includes the following:

Quote:You can rip your own DVDs, and nobody will stop you.

You can jailbreak your phone.

The fourth exemption is narrower than the first three, granting the right to crack video or computer game DRM (such as SecuROM) for the purposes of research or "investigation." The language here is broad enough to give a little wiggle room (after all, anyone who's curious can investigate).

What about music? Or ripping video games?
No dice this time around—the act makes no exemption for copying DRM-protected music or games, so breaking the encryption on a song or Blu-ray you rightfully own is still illegal.

There are six outlined exceptions to this rule, and they're listed here.

Further reading: http://gizmodo.com/5596677/drm-buster-fa...ns-for-you
Good use for viruses: make them into batteries.

Quote:VIRUS-BUILT WEARABLE BATTERIES COULD POWER MILITARY

Batteries, built by viruses, could someday be sprayed onto military uniforms as wearable power sources.

Teams of researchers, one from MIT, one from the University of Maryland, have used two different viruses to create the cathode and anode for a lithium ion battery.

If the Maryland research pans out, the parts for lithium ion batteries could be grown in and harvested from tobacco plants. The MIT research, meanwhile, could produce lithium ion batteries that could be woven into clothing to power a wide range of electronic devices, from unmanned aerial vehicles to cell phones.
(08-27-2010, 10:09 AM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]Good use for viruses: make them into batteries.

Quote:VIRUS-BUILT WEARABLE BATTERIES COULD POWER MILITARY

Batteries, built by viruses, could someday be sprayed onto military uniforms as wearable power sources.

Teams of researchers, one from MIT, one from the University of Maryland, have used two different viruses to create the cathode and anode for a lithium ion battery.

If the Maryland research pans out, the parts for lithium ion batteries could be grown in and harvested from tobacco plants. The MIT research, meanwhile, could produce lithium ion batteries that could be woven into clothing to power a wide range of electronic devices, from unmanned aerial vehicles to cell phones.

That's pretty neat, considering that the viruses chosen were harmless (why the hell would you choose a harmful one anyway). Although I wonder what would happen if it infects NDM-1... nothing? LOL
WAIIIT WUT!??!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204377/ga...ourse.html
Gaming Skills Become a College Course
Quote:Problem-solving skills used in one of -- if not the most -- popular real-time strategy games of all time are not unlike those used in the 21st Century real world. At least that is the song that the University of Florida is singing.

The school, located in Gainesville, Florida, is offering a two-credit honors couse titled, "21st century Skills in Starcaft." The eight-week class "does not teach about Starcraft," but combines weekly gameplay, analysis of recorded matches and "synthesis of real/game-world concepts," to develop workplace skills.

Reposting since people don't check the audiophilia thread Tongue

The Secret Scam of Cheap Earbuds
http://gizmodo.com/5617200/the-secret-sc...ap-earbuds

Quote:Those cheap earphones you keep buying year after year? The ones with the cool designs? They all kinda sound the same, huh? There's a pretty good reason for that: They actually are all the same earphones.

In the world of gadgets, earphones occupy a decidedly weird space. Few categories can boast mind-numbing variety (both in price and quality) that headphones offer. Every year, companies like Sony trot out a phalanx of multi-colored ear candy at CES, each with various frequency responses and designs. You can pay as little as $10 for a standard pair earbuds, or drop as much as $2,000 for a pair of custom molded in-ear monitors. The space in between these extremes is even becoming crowded, with offerings designed specifically for running, yoga, juggling chainsaws—basically any activity you can conjure up that can be done while listening to music. And that's not even getting into traditional over-the-ear (or on-ear) cans.
awww memories. I rented couple of games from em.
Oh well.
(09-24-2010, 03:38 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]RIP, Blockbuster Sad

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/0...s-time.ars

LONG LIVE FREE GAMES/MOVIES FROM TORRENTS!!!!!!!! Chair

WHO THE FUCK CARES FOR THESE COMPANIES WHO FORCES US TO PAY FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19