The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting tech news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Lol. That'd be the REAL reason for a huge HDD in a PS3.
Experienced terrible internet speeds at home last night. I thought it was just me, or just Globe. But here in the office, the speed is just as bad. Turns out it's not just me.

some guy from Pinoydsl.net Wrote:APCN2 cable cut cripples connections
By Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 04:50 PM

A cut in the Asia-Pacific Cable Network 2 (APCN2) undersea submarine cable crippled connection speeds for users in the Asia-Pacific region on Wednesday, particularly in Singapore and the Philippines.

Users were sending updates to local forums and Twitter, complaining of slow connection speeds to sites hosted outside of the region.

According to a notice sent by Malaysian telco, TM Net, the cable fault was traced to segment 7 of the APCN2, which stretches between Shantou, China and Tanshui, Taiwan. TM Net traced the outage to Typhoon Morakot, which hit the region over the weekend.

Additionally, segment 1 of the APCN2 is also currently under repair. Repairs on segment 7 are expected to commence after work on segment 1 is completed.

Internet connection speeds are expected to return to normal late evening Aug. 13, according to the advisory.

Singapore operator, SingTel, confirmed the cable fault in an e-mail to ZDNet Asia, saying that customers can expect to face high latency as a result. It added that its STIX (SingTel Internet Exchange) Internet backbone provider is working on rectifying the issue.

A status update posted on InternetTrafficReport.com showed SingTel's Singapore gateway registered a score of only 34 points, compared to the global average "health" of network connections, which was 86 points as at 3pm Singapore time on Wednesday.

The site first started registering increased response time and packet loss in Singapore at 8pm Tuesday evening.

More details to follow...

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communicat...838,00.htm

No wonder. Anyone else experiencing problems?
(08-13-2009, 01:18 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]No wonder. Anyone else experiencing problems?

I was experiencing slow connection speeds at home too.
At home and at the office too
me sensed this....it happened 3 years ago......fuking sux cuz it took about a month to fix...
herbal senses tingled eh?

anyway so this is why I was DLING Schoolmate so slow

for crying out loud Chair
the slowdown had the same 'symptoms' like the slowdown i experienced 3 years ago....one moment you're browsing next thing you know it's sooooo slow! There are also some sites that load fast compared to others that barely load at all.....i hope the fix it soon!
yeah anyway I think as of this hour things are picking up again XD
(08-14-2009, 02:02 AM)clonezero Wrote: [ -> ]yeah anyway I think as of this hour I think things are picking up again XD

Yup, same here. Speed's looking to be mostly back to normal.
Blizzcon 2009 has started and certain gamer stereotypes are abound. Happy

[Image: blizzcon_day0_005.jpg]
Quote:The Pirate Bay Taken Offline By Swedish Authorities (Updated)

Following the earlier court defeat for Fredrik, Gottfrid and Peter and the pending civil action taken by several Hollywood studios, the Swedish authorities have now ordered The Pirate Bay to be disconnected from the Internet. The site’s bandwidth suppliers have been threatened with a large fine. The site is completely offline.

Today, Stockholm’s district court took action to completely remove The Pirate Bay from the Internet.

The court ordered the site’s major bandwidth supplier, Black Internet, to disconnect TPB from the Internet or face penalties of 500,000 kroner ($70,600). The ISP complied, saying that it had no choice but to uphold the law.

The censorship of The Pirate Bay will continue pending the outcome of a civil action taken by several entertainment companies including Disney, Universal, Warner, Columbia, Sony, NBC and Paramount.

Rick Falkvinge, leader of The Pirate Party said: “This is absolutely ridiculous. The Court seems to consider themselves above the Constitution,” while criticizing the effect that these civil actions are having on freedom of speech. “This clarifies how copyright law has become untenable, and how information is lacking political skills in the judiciary,” he added.

Black Internet is probably not the only supplier of bandwidth to The Pirate Bay, so it may be possible for them to reconnect to the Internet elsewhere. Whether or not another Swedish supplier would even consider doing that is seriously in doubt.

Update: As expected, The Pirate Bay site relocated and is back online (DNS still has to update for some people). A Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak that they “got a new connection to the net.” The tracker is still down and is expected to be fully operational tomorrow morning, we were told. Ever since their servers were raided back in 2006 they were prepared for takedown attempts like this.

“The MAFIAA has spent millions of dollars and endless amounts of time to get this ban in order. Our guess is that they also bribed a bit to get it since it violates so many laws not only in Sweden but also in the EU, not to mention violations against human rights. And what do they have to show for it? 3 hours of partial downtime,” the Pirate Bay team adds.

The t-shirt below (currently the logo on the Pirate Bay homepage) will be sent to the people responsible for the takedown attempt tomorrow morning, the Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak.

Another update: The temporary host has a problem with its fiber causing the site to go offline again. Meanwhile, the downtime is causing traffic spikes for other torrent sites and trackers.

Hmm.
oh shit. i hope demonoid stays safe!
(08-25-2009, 06:41 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]The Pirate Bay Taken Offline By Swedish Authorities (Updated)

Hmm.

Quote from TPB blog:

Quote:Riding out the storm

We have, ourselves, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once more able to defend our Internets, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

Even though large parts of Internets and many old and famous trackers have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Ifpi and all the odious apparatus of MPAA rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the ef-nets and darknets, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Internets, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the baywords.org, we shall fight on the /. and on the digg, we shall fight in the courts; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, the Internets or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Anon Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in Cerf's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Signed;

The Pirate Bay Crew - Always when needed.

They got most of that entry from this famous speech:
http://www.presentationhelper.co.uk/wins...eaches.htm

LOL

Also, I was trying to connect to a TPB tracker last night to no avail, but utorrent was able to utilize DHT and downloaded the file just fine Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19